We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kohala Coast Lodging

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Kohala Coast Lodging

Hi,

I'm having a hard time deciding on where to stay on the Kohala Coast. We will be on our honeymoon, but are active young thirties. We want a place that's easily accessible to day trips/hikes, etc. but also want a place to snorkel, lay on the beach and chill.

I've looked at Condos, Hotels, houses in Puako and not sure of the direction to go. Nervous that a rental could potentially not be great and stuck there for a week (open to specific rentals that people have had good luck with). Also know that some hotels aren't the best. Thinking lava lava beach club as mix?

Would appreciate some insight into these options/suggestions/pros/cons?

Must Haves: Water View

Thank you!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kohala Coast Lodging

Lava Lava Beach Club is not very private.

If you want a water view, a Kohala hotel (Mauna Lani, Orchid, Mauna Kea, Hapuna Prince)or Mauna Lani Point or Terrace condos are your best bets. Depends on your price point. Personally I like hotels to avoid having to search around, prepay far in advance, worry about spoiling a towel or breaking a dish. Also I like the housekeeping service in a hotel. People on here just love them condos, though, so I am sure you will end up in one.

Houses in Puako would not be my choice because they can be hot, there can be mosauitos in the brackish inland ponds, shore entry is rocky and surgey and it can bevhard to get outside the reef to snorkel.

Edited: 01 June 2017, 00:42
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kohala Coast Lodging

What hotel would you suggest? We have up to 700/night.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kohala Coast Lodging

Hmmm...I love Mauna Lani for the grounds and water there but millennials tend to find it dated and too quiet. I would take a look at that and Mauna Kea Hotel, but also see if Four Seasons Hualalai has any promos going on that would get you near $700. Remember there are taxes and resort fees to take into account. SheaG always mentions some Four Seasons partner that has deals there but I cannot recall what it was, sorry.

California
Level Contributor
7,589 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kohala Coast Lodging

Your joking right? $700. a night and your having problems finding a place? Sorry but your not looking very hard. Plenty of beautiful place's to pick from. Just pick the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel and be done with it. Unless you need the 4 Seasons you'll be happy here.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,871 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kohala Coast Lodging

The Mauna Lani oceanfront on a high floor (there are only six). The hotel itself is quiet, but all our better hotels are. What month are you coming? In low season the Four Seasons has some better rates, but you are not quite in their range at $700.

The Four Seasons, Mauna Lani Bay, Mauna Kea are the ones I'd put on the short list. Not Lava Lava. And Mauna Lani is the place if you want to snorkel.

Edited: 01 June 2017, 04:12
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kohala Coast Lodging

Generally the Four Seasons Hualalai will start at around $700 per night. All of the rooms are ocean view and are identical in terms of layout, so there is no big downside to booking the lowest category, and if you use a Four Seasons preferred partner like whatahotel.com you can usually get a free upgrade plus other perks, and the best available rate. There are no resort fees, self parking is free, it has the best pools of any hotel on the island (and some of the best in the state), excellent restaurants, and is consistently rated as one of the best hotels in the world. The Mauna Lani is nice, I often recommend it, but Hualalai is worlds better.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kohala Coast Lodging

Would it make sense to do 3 nights in Volcano, 3 nights in Kona to do all the side trips we want to do and hiking (keeping lodging costs low), and then 3 nights at the four seasons? Or would you suggest 3 nights in Volcano and then 6 nights at Mauna Lani?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kohala Coast Lodging

at the most 3 nights in Volcano but 2 is usually fine and then yes the rest of the time either at Mauna Lani or as Shea says... Hualalai would be my choice as well

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kohala Coast Lodging

I would only move twice. I wouldn't stay in Kailua Kona at all. If you want to finish with a Four Seasons splurge, then you could stay stay three nights Volcano, three nights Mauna Lani (which is way under your budget), three nights FS. But it would be too much moving for me. I'd spend all six at Hualalai, but if it's too much $$$, then the Mauna Lani is a solid second choice.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kohala Coast Lodging

Thanks for all the advice!

Mauna Lani Point - how would I guarantee a good unit?