We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Eye out of Kona

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Red Eye out of Kona

Hi,

Our flight back home is leaving out of Kona around 10:45pm. We have to check out of the hotel that day around noon. Is it safe to leave our luggage in the car as we explore Kona and maybe some coffee areas? Do people pay for an extra night and just check out late on the night of the flight? Are there beaches with showers? If so, is the luggage safe in the car? Suggestions on what to do?

Thank you!

United States
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
356 reviews
1. Re: Red Eye out of Kona

We always take the red eye of Kauai and just make sure to always get a rental car with a trunk to conceal our luggage. If you're staying in a nice resort hotel, they will hold your luggage. I would assume there are beaches with showers somewhere. We know where they are in Kauai (Lawai Beach) and always make that our last stop of the day.

Here's a previous thread with similar issues https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60872…

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,667 posts
109 reviews
2. Re: Red Eye out of Kona

There’s a Top Question specifically about this (“What to do the day of a red eye flight out”). So check that out. On my trip over in June I took Shea’s advice & headed to Hualalai for our final afternoon & early evening. Safe parking, convenient access to lovely beaches, showers available, and a great ocean side dinner as the sun slipped down. Perfect way to wrap up a trip and from there it’s a quick drive to KOA.

~ Colleen

Edited: 16 November 2017, 13:28
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
1,188 reviews
3. Re: Red Eye out of Kona

On our first trip many,many years ago, we took red eye without a place to stay. I swore I'd never do that again. I now always book accommodations thru to the following day. It makes the last day feel like a regular vacation day and is much more relaxing. You can eek out the last minutes in a relaxing way. No worries about luggage, showering and what to do to fill the in between time. Costs more, but definitely worth it to me.

GC
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
803 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Red Eye out of Kona

The hotel will hold your luggage. Some hotels offer "hospitality" suites you can use for a shower. Typically you get the room for about 30 minutes or so. Check with the hotel

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
298 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Red Eye out of Kona

We've done it both ways, and I agree PlanetR--Save yourself the headache, and the worry, book an extra night at your hotel. Otherwise, your last day feels more like you're waiting around all day for your flight to take off versus enjoying one more day of vacation. It's really worth the extra cost.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,667 posts
109 reviews
6. Re: Red Eye out of Kona

Having spent our last afternoon/evening at Hualalai, there's no way I'd book an extra night. It absolutely felt like another vacation day (albeit our final one). No sense of waiting about for our flight, no worries about luggage (though I would've worried had I realized I'd left my car door wide open, lol). If anything, it made for an ideal transition as we eased our way off the island.

~ Colleen

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
298 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Red Eye out of Kona

Hi Colleen,

How you were able to spend an afternoon/evening at Hualalai without being a guest there?

The one time we had a red eye home, we paid for an extra night so we could have our room until it was time to go to the airport. I couldn't imagine hanging out all afternoon/evening milling around the lobby until 8:45pm. The staff did say we could use the spa to shower and that valet would store our luggage for us until it was time to leave, but we'd been registered guests at the hotel.

I was under the impression that the FS doesn't allow non-registered guests to use the pool lounges, or facilities unless they're with a homeowner or have paid the daily resort fee. Have they changed that policy, do you think?

I'd sure be nice to save $1500, if there's a way to do so!

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,667 posts
109 reviews
8. Re: Red Eye out of Kona

I wasn't referring to the Four Seasons hotel itself, MGD, but to the area where it's located. Even those who aren't guests at the resort can park at the public access lot. From there you can meander the paved path along the shoreline, enjoy the beach in front the FS, walk to Kukio and Kikaua, use public showers if you need a rinse, and have a meal at one of the FS restaurants. I can't fathom spending $1500 to have a room for a day ~ but I've never been in the position to consider the possibility. ;-)

~ Colleen

Edited: 17 November 2017, 09:05
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,703 posts
312 reviews
9. Re: Red Eye out of Kona

Basically if one does not want to hang out in public spaces with stuff in the trunk, one needs a hospitality room, bags kept inside at the former hotel, or another hotel day. Even with safe parking lots, stuff like medication and toiletries gets baked and fried in a trunk. I tried carrying a daypack around with my medications but that gets old fast.

I realize most people here on the forum do not have a carryon bag full of medication. But if you do, particulatly asthma meds and antibiotics, be aware. Same thing for taking an hourlong shop at Costco on arrival. Stuff in trunkmis getting hot. Read the labels...

Edited: 17 November 2017, 22:25
South Pole
Level Contributor
41,296 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Red Eye out of Kona

Yes, the heat is a constant concern. I use an ice chest regularly, but it wouldn’t be enough for everything I take in a trip. I wish there were more shaded parking here, but it’s scarce and everyone wants it. The Mauna Lani hotel has a lovely shaded parking area, but it’s for guests now. I think if lunching there they will let you park in it. I even ask when I park valet where they will have it, whether in the sun.

Get answers to your questions about Island of Hawaii