We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui or Kauai????

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Maui or Kauai????

We have pretty much narrowed it down to Maui or Kauai - we like good restaurants & music, walking the beach in the morning, a small amount of shop browsing, pools lounging, condo style room. Which would you recommend and why?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,539 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui or Kauai????

You will have more options for resorts, walking the beach, etc in Maui.

Both are great places. Kauai for me is all about the outdoors...most of the best things to do are hiking, kayaking, boat trips, beaches, etc.

Maui has all that but also a couple of resort areas, Kaanapali and Wailea, plus more things to attend/visit ie shows, the park, winery, lavender farm, etc

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I might recommend Maui for your first time just because there is do much diversity.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,650 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui or Kauai????

What time of year are you traveling? If it is in Jan-April, my vote would be Maui, hands down. WHALES!!!!

But you would have to get busy to get something booked if that is when you want to get to Maui. Lots of people heading to Maui for the whales, and anywhere in Hawaii to get away from the dreary winters, including our wet B. C. coast.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui or Kauai????

Kauai is our favorite, but we also go to Maui. Easy to enjoy them both.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui or Kauai????

I have been to both you can't go wrong with either but I fell in love with Maui so it is my favorite.

What time of year you are going does make a difference?

Texas
Level Contributor
845 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui or Kauai????

Is this your first time to Hawaii? I would choose Maui.

Everything you mentioned can be found on either island--it's just easier on Maui.

Kauai is our special place--we just go there to relax--Maui we love--but we are more active there!

You can't go wrong--both are incredible places!

Enjoy!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,650 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui or Kauai????

Good morning Dawn, now know that you want February, from your other thread. So you need to get busy right away, and get something booked.

A condo in Kihei area (south Maui), or Kahana, Napili area (west Maui) will most likely fit your budget. Another option will be Ma'alaea. That is kind of in between them both.

But do give us a budget per night. You have chosen a great time to be on Maui because of the whales. Kauai will have whales too, but not like Maui!

As soon as you have the flights booked, get a rental car. You will need a car regardless of which island you ultimately choose. But finding a condo during Feb/March that you like this late in the year is going to be time consuming. Have you used vrbo before? Get on that site first, plunk in some dates, and see what comes up. There are filters for you to use as well, and you can add the number of bedrooms. At least then you won't have as many listings to look through. It will also give you an idea for cost. It's not cheap when the whales are in town!

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,511 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui or Kauai????

Hello again Dawn. I answered on your Kauai thread too. tripadvisor.com/…53277389 Maui and whale season is a must for me! And be aware that the weather is different on the two islands - more rain in the winter/spring on the lush green "garden isle" of Kaua'i. Maui also has lots more condos on the beach than Kaua'i does.

Joan gives you some great advice! Get looking for condos. When you have some interesting possibilities, come back to the forum and post links. People will help you from their experience with these properties.

Get your car reserved. Reserve your car with Costco if you're a member, or discounthawaiicarrental.com . Don't prepay, get a reservation and keep checking back. Prices fluctuate greatly. When you find a better price cancel your old reservation and make a new one. People save hundreds of $$ this way.

I do want to say that if you have enough time you may want to do both islands. In your other thread, it sounds like you have from mid February through the first week of March? That would give you plentry of time to split your trip. It does complicate things and add expenses, though. There will be plenty to keep you happy on just Maui if you choose one island!

Edited: 07 October 2013, 00:03
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui or Kauai????

February definitely equals Maui for the Whales it is an awesome experience to see them huge but yet so graceful.

Sounds like if you have that much time you could do two islands. Kauai can be rainier in the winter months especially on the North Shore look into the Poipu area on the South Shore of Kauai.

I have only stayed west side on Maui in Napili and Honokwai and loved them both. Lots of condos down south too though.

How much are you looking to spend per night for a condo? It is a very popular time on Maui so time's a wastin' as they say.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,373 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui or Kauai????

February is not the best time to stay Kauai; the most gorgeous northern part is likely to be windy and rainy, and the ocean will *certainly* be rough there. Even Poipu can be rainy in winter. Kauai has fewer 'man-made' amenities, and you say you want restaurants.

Maui is at the height of Whale Season in February. See if you can get a rental car at a price you can afford. Lodgings may be tight if you want a condo; hotels usually have more rooms to rent. Maui has a wide choice of restaurants and activities. Trick will be fining lodging.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui or Kauai????

Yes that time of year south Maui would be a good choice, but as mentioned finding an available and good condo will be a challenge at this point.