We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street market?

London
Level Contributor
99 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Street market?

Where in Fes can I find a street market/place where all the 'tat' is laid out on the pavement? I found some very cheap (2 dirhams) old clothing etc in one place near the old medina in Casablanca, lovely fabric!

And if so, what days and times?

Mentioned in this post
Fes
Fes
Fes-Boulemane Region, Morocco
Casablanca
Casablanca
Grand Casablanca Region, Morocco
Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
6,384 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Street market?

And people say that there is nothing to do in Casablanca and don't bother going to the Old Medina!

As you have seen, there is something for everyone and I am glad that you're approaching Morocco with an enquiring, exploratory mind.

I can't help you about Fes, but I would be fascinated to know if there is similar. In El Jadida, if anyone reads this thread and wants the same, this sort of thing is at Lalla Zahra market.

Mentioned in this post
Casablanca
Casablanca
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Fes
Fes
El Jadida
El Jadida
Doukkala-Abda Region, Morocco
London
Level Contributor
99 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Street market?

The old medina in Casablanca was great! A short walk from the Hassan II mosque and then on to the Central Marche.. Unfortunately was ripped off big time at a fish stall.. Too tired to argue and not proficient in my Moroccan etiquette to refuse dishes brought out which I then ate but didn't want! Delicious but at 270 dirhams!!

If there is a street market/place in Fes would love to know.

Edited: 22 April 2017, 17:02
Mentioned in this post
Casablanca
Casablanca
Marche
Marche
Italy
Fes
Fes
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,203 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Street market?

Even after decades of travel in Morocco I am sometimes in a relaxed mood and forget to check the price of something before I eat. Invariably I end up regretting it. LOL.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
London
Level Contributor
99 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Street market?

I've just been informed that there may be place just outside of Bab Bjloud at the market there. Outside to the right of the blue gate. Also some kind of underground market. Will try and find, simple instructions, I hope :)

Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
6,384 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Street market?

That sounds promising. Please pop back in and let us know.

Good shopping!

North Ayrshire...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Street market?

There is a big clothing Souk in Place Baghdadi, easy to find if entering Fes el bali through Bab Mahrouk, or Bab Chorfa, opposite the cemetery, use the Kasbah Nouar as a prominent landmark, part of this Souk extends below street level and extends as far as Bab Boujloud, the blue gate, you really can't cant miss the location.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/107874481

There are plenty more Souks with overhead cane covering along the Talaa Kebira, but not of the 'tat laid out on the street variety' ...the streets are too narrow for this and already congested by donkeys and parked-up wheel barrows.......

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/107874476

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/107874287

Mentioned in this post
Fes
Fes
Bab Boujloud
Bab Boujloud
1,260 Reviews
Fes, Morocco
North Ayrshire...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Street market?

I forgot to mention a decent place to eat in Fes el bali medina, this is the only place I will eat because it's a family business which does not rip off tourists, the menu card, either `a la carte or set fixed price menu is prominently displayed at the front door, with either menu option you can have a good dinner for under 100 dirhams. If it's not raining the best place to eat is on the roof terrace which has an excellent view of the surrounding medina.

Click on my username and scroll down the review list to find my review of Cafe/Restaurant Boua Nania, to find it enter the medina through the blue gate, Bab Boujloud and take the first left, it's on the next corner.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/108450111

Edited: 23 April 2017, 00:03
Mentioned in this post
Fes
Fes
Bab Boujloud
Bab Boujloud
1,260 Reviews
Fes, Morocco
London
Level Contributor
99 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Street market?

Yes all the pointers and directions given are correct! Thanks.

On a grand scale, but mostly heaps of men's clothing old and new with an underground section (of new men's clothing only). No bargains here today for me :(

Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
6,384 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Street market?

You'll have to come back to Casablanca or down to El Jadida then!

Mentioned in this post
Casablanca
Casablanca
El Jadida
El Jadida
Doukkala-Abda Region, Morocco
London
Level Contributor
99 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Street market?

@mishmish I'm slowly working my way through Morocco!

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa