We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis in Fes.

SEATTLE
Level Contributor
239 posts
326 reviews
Save Topic
Taxis in Fes.

I read they are located by the gates, is there a line to stand at, an specific area? or can you waive at one and get on it? I don't want to be rude and cut in front of other people. Also how reliable are they? I will request the meter of course .. but are they pretty honest? or do they have the bad reputation like the ones in Marrakech?

I would be traveling from the medina to the Hotel Sahrai .

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Hotel Sahrai
Hotel Sahrai
469 Reviews
Fes, Morocco
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,438 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis in Fes.

Have a read of your guide book so you understand the difference between grand taxis (between towns) and petit taxis (within towns).

Taxi drivers are pretty much the same the world over, a few are a pain, most are OK.

SEATTLE
Level Contributor
239 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis in Fes.

Thanks, I did not know that.. I normally do private guides with cars or public transportation on my trips, hardly ever taxis. So, I will be doing mostly the Petit taxis . hopefully I'll get an Okay one..:)

Thanks

North Ayrshire...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis in Fes.

Fes red Petit taxis can be hit or miss, in my recent experience the rank at the railway station is the worst for the hustler taxi drivers wanting to jump the queue and approaching a prospective passenger emerging from the station directly with invitations to their cab, on a previous occasion a taxi hustler identifiable in the regulation grey hustler suit tried to inveigle me towards one particular taxi, but without success, when I started shouting at him " seer fihalek" ( get lost) he quickly dissolved into the crowd and I started walking all the way to the Fes el Bali Medina, 2 miles, as I walked the distance along Avenue des Saddiens taxis passing me honked their horns in disapproval, evidently there was a taxi 'mafia' in operation and I had disgraced the 'Capo' in the grey suit by telling him where to go.

This year I tried a new approach, at the Fes el Bali rank early in the morning I approached the lead Petit taxi parked up and in reasonably fluent Arabic suggested that 15 (hamstash dirhams) would be "safi" (ok) for the journey to the railway station, he grunted his acceptance and the deal was done. On another occasion I walked out of the railway station and managed to spot an empty cab approaching and flagged it down, it stopped and I offered the same 15 dirhams to take me to Bab Boujloud, the Fes el Bali medina gate, he accepted without demur and off we went, en route he stopped to pick up two other passengers and made a slight diversion to take them to their stated destination, then the taxi was mine again and I arrived at my intended destination without further complications.

Moroccan taxis can be something of an adventure, the drivers know that a 'rich' tourist is on the loose and will take full advantage of the situation, so if you get your fare offer in first you will be ahead of the game.

Forget about the meter, in this type of maverick situation it is of no consequence!

Mentioned in this post
Fes
Fes
Fes-Boulemane Region, Morocco
Fes el-Bali
Fes el-Bali
659 Reviews
Fes, Morocco
Bab Boujloud
Bab Boujloud
1,276 Reviews
Fes, Morocco
Kenitra, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis in Fes.

There's your first mistake offering the offer in the first place.

Unnecessary advice for anyone visiting, the amount of times people ask and we say ensure the meter is on.. Which is the right advice, not to pre arrange prices especially with Petit taxis.

You only paid 15 which may have been the fare. though with that many visits you probably knew that 👍

For others you get in the taxi and he starts the meter. Or you make a friendly reminder. Fes isn't bad really. I took a few taxis in the last few months visiting and didn't have to ask.

The issue with taking taxis at the station is they want a full taxi, preferably 3 different people going the same direction for 3 fares.

They are screaming the names of places they are going to attract the person to come to their taxi.

Then people to go which ever taxi. There is no order or system as you note with the 'hustler' lol 😂 that's how it is.

It's annoying if there is more then 1 of you but you can be patient a little and should find taxi.. Or..

Simple solution is walk across the road from fes station (or any other station) and stop a taxi on the road.

It's the same process at most stations, very annoying during peak after a train arrives 😡

Edited: 21 June 2017, 07:51
Mentioned in this post
Fes
Fes
North Ayrshire...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis in Fes.

Avoid crossing the road from Fes railway station and trying to ask Petit taxi drivers, parked up and washing their cabs, for transport to anywhere, I was greeted by a blank response, all part of the local taxi mafia at the railway station....

Mentioned in this post
Fes
Fes
Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
6,384 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis in Fes.

I have to agree that I never offer a price. I get in, wherever I am, and if the city's taxis have meters, they have to switch them on. If they don't do so or refuse after being asked, I get out and hail another. Casablanca is usually OK too. They generally put the meters on. The devil is getting them to stop if anyone is with a friend. The drivers want 3 separate fares and usually about 10 to 15 go by until one stops for 2 people together.

It must be awful for people in cities such as El Jadida where there are no meters in the cabs and people don't know the prices. They'll even rip Moroccans from out of town off. However, it's not like Marrakech, asking for 50 for a 7 dirham ride. They just try for 10.

Remember that there is always a police control office in every city that has the records of every driver and the number of the cab he is driving at any particular time. The taxi police are very helpful - I used them today in El Jadida when a guy refused to give me my correct change. They called his mobile and told him to present himself immediately, made him refund me the whole fare and then take me to my destination for free in exchange for my withdrawing my formal complaint. It saved them a lot of paperwork, I guess.

In El Jadida the taxi "poste de police" is at the bus station. I have to admit that I don't know where it is in Casablanca! Others might know for other cities if they are genuinely needed.

Mentioned in this post
Casablanca
Casablanca
Grand Casablanca Region, Morocco
El Jadida
El Jadida
Doukkala-Abda Region, Morocco
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
SEATTLE
Level Contributor
239 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis in Fes.

Thanks! great info.

Rabat-Sale-Zemmour-Z...
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxis in Fes.

The taxis in Fes are honest, you should of course use the meter at all time as it will give you the exact fare.

There are many Taxis stations by the Bab Boujloud Gate, Batha, recif, and other gates of the medina

Mentioned in this post
Bab Boujloud
Bab Boujloud
1,276 Reviews
Fes, Morocco
Hotel Batha
Hotel Batha
239 Reviews
Fes, Morocco
Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
6,384 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxis in Fes.

"I don't want to be rude and cut in"

I just noticed this. Don't worry about this at all. Moroccans will do it to you and to each other all the time. I have lost count of the number of times I've been waiting for a cab at the side of the road and someone local walks along past me 5 yards and starts hailing so they can get in before me. I've got it down pat now - I muscle in or run to the door of the cab first. If it's really busy, I walk on past the person who has pushed in past me. It's just normal, no one bats an eyelid about it.

The only time I make a fuss about people pushing in is in places it obviously shouldn't be happening such as in the bank or the immigration line at the airport when a sharp "Rentrez à votre place derrière moi Madame/Monsieur" is enough to keep them in check. Elsewhere, bakeries, grocers and so on, you have to put up with it or be cleverer than they are, lol.

10. Re: Taxis in Fes.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2018, 12:16