We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

medina gates

SEATTLE
Level Contributor
238 posts
326 reviews
Save Topic
medina gates

Hello .

Can someone please advise...

I would like to know the names of the main gates into the Medina that are more commonly used by the tourist . I know the blue gate is Bab Bou Jeloud but is there any other main one, I could potentially use as and exit from the Medina? as I will need a petit taxi to take me back to the hotel.

I will be staying @ the Sahrai hotel.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Sahrai
Hotel Sahrai
462 Reviews
Fes, Morocco
6 replies to this topic
Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: medina gates

For you, entering by Bab Bobjoulud doesn't mean any advantage IMO since you're not close enough to walk up to that. Most of the tourists do so (and get lost before getting the center of the Medina) but I'd suggest you to enter by Bab Rcib. Petite taxi takes you there. There's a big Place Rcib, from where you can enter, follow the flow and literally run into most of the main attractions one after another in less than 5 minutes.

Then, look for the big sign hung from ceilings or on the wall that says Bab Boujloud (I think it was red) just to find your way out along one of the two main parallels. That is the best and easiest way IMO.

Mentioned in this post
Bab Boujloud
Bab Boujloud
1,242 Reviews
Fes, Morocco
SEATTLE
Level Contributor
238 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: medina gates

Thanks Mamaluc!!

Yes' I saw in a video the red signs... and getting pretty familiar with the area between videos and the google maps satellite :)) I'm doing my homework and it's fun.

Thanks

North Ayrshire...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: medina gates

Overhead 'colour-designated tourist trail' signs can be confusing in Fes el Bali Medina, invariably there will be a choice between red or brown, both indicting the way to Bab Boujloud. I looked up the Google map and see that your hotel is in Fes Ville Nouvelle, the new city, so you will need to flag down a small red Petit taxi to reach either of the two medinas, Fes el Jdid and/or Fes el bali, the latter is the more interesting with many more historical attractions to be discovered and the nearest gate (Bab) is Bab Boujloud, otherwise known as the blue gate, and there is a Petit taxi rank there.

You might find some of my Tripadvisor Fes reviews helpful, click on my username and scroll down the review list to find recent information.

Mentioned in this post
Fes el-Bali
Fes el-Bali
652 Reviews
Fes, Morocco
Bab Boujloud
Bab Boujloud
1,242 Reviews
Fes, Morocco
Fes
Fes
Fes-Boulemane Region, Morocco
SEATTLE
Level Contributor
238 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: medina gates

Thanks Kaptainsensible! ... :)) love your username !

Yes, I will look @ your reviews... I'm actually going to be inside the Medina with my tour group, but I'm planning on staying more time so I can take pictures and enjoy the essence of the place. :))

Thanks a lot, have a great rest of the week.

North Ayrshire...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: medina gates

You could also have a look at some of my archived material on Virtualtourist website, although it's not complete, many of the photos might give you a sense of the medina while you do your 'homework'.

https:/…

Rabat-Sale-Zemmour-Z...
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: medina gates

I would advise the blue gate ( BAB BOUJLOUD). It is conveniently located and is commonly used to access the old medina.

Mentioned in this post
Bab Boujloud
Bab Boujloud
1,242 Reviews
Fes, Morocco
Reply to: medina gates
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted