We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Morocco due to Tunisia attacks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Morocco due to Tunisia attacks

Hi there,

I am signed up for a guided trip to Morocco end of November this year. I am now getting very concerned in light of massacres in neighboring Tunisia (the museum and now the resort). While I understand these are 2 different countries, the fear is that it is going to come to Morocco as well. No one can predict the future and nowhere it is safe anymore, but if experts can opine on the security situation in Morocco - specifically is it safe to walk around in Medina in Marrakesh and Fez? Is there a threat of Isis-like kidnappings of tourists? Should I reconsider the trip and go elsewhere?

I might be over-thinking this but advise would be appreciated.

Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Morocco due to Tunisia attacks

I am travelling to Morocco in 2 weeks time and I am also a little bit worried/put off by what has happened in Tunisia!

Zawyat Oulmzi...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Morocco due to Tunisia attacks

I honestly fear more for New York than Marrakech or Fez.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,617 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Morocco due to Tunisia attacks

I can not discourage you or encourage to go to Morocco without fear, as you yourself say no one can predict what will happen. So I will speak now for me self. However, I trust in Morocco and security force there, they monitor the country very closely. I myself plan trips even twice this year and the only thing I'm thinking is if I have time to go to one place because I get it a little pressured to keep the time so to say LOL

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Morocco due to Tunisia attacks

I live in New York. while the threat is high, we have not really had major incidents since 9/11.

North Ayrshire...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Morocco due to Tunisia attacks

When I was in Tangier and Casablanca last month there were trios of security forces patrolling the streets on foot, one blue-uniformed officer with side arm and wearing a communication earpiece to his HQ flanked by two paramilitaries armed with machine guns, in the current climate of fear they were a most reassuring sight.

Of course there cannot be any guarantees that an atrocity similar to the one in Sousse, Tunisia today will not occur anywhere in Morocco but Morocco is a police State where all citizens are encouraged to spy and inform on each other so an effective network of police informants exists, especially in the Medinas, any strangers suddenly appearing in close-knit communities are regarded with suspicion until their 'bona fide' presence is established.

I was sitting in Lisba bar, Tangier after ordering a couple of beers in competent Arabic the hostess gave me the full interrogation as to my identity and reason for being there, apparently I had made some of the drinkers nervous because tourists don't normally speak Arabic!

I certainly won't be discouraged from returning to Morocco next year for my annual month's holiday, from long experience of travelling many years in Morocco I am well aware that statistically I am more at risk of being killed or injured in a road traffic accident!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Morocco due to Tunisia attacks

are you heading with the group tour or on your own? good luck and stay safe!

Edited: 27 June 2015, 03:54
Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
196 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Morocco due to Tunisia attacks

We were in Marrakech in April and are going back in September. I'm not worried. An attack could happen anywhere and I don't think Morocco is any more or less dangerous than say, London.

Ouezzane, Morocco
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Morocco due to Tunisia attacks

Tunisia has borders with libya and suffers from terrorism since the fall of gaddafi . This said if you think an attack in tunisia increases the risks in morocco , i want to understand your reasonning , tunisia suffered of other attacks this year and last year

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,043 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in Morocco due to Tunisia attacks

Hi,

Morocco is a very different country and it's people in the main have a very different mentality to what the media refer to as either "the Arab world" or even "North Africa".

Of course anything could happen anywhere in the world these days but despite what happened in Tunisia today tourists are enjoying themselves here and Moroccans are observing the holy month of Ramadan as intended.

Those of us who live here have not heard any worries from our Moroccan friends.

California
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety in Morocco due to Tunisia attacks

Kidnapping ! Certainly not! Would be a national and, international incident. Anything/anywhere is possible as far as terrorists go. I missed going last year but going in November for at least 3 months as a solo female traveler. I will go, no matter what!!