We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging pounds for shillings

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
106 reviews
70 helpful votes
Exchanging pounds for shillings
Save

Can pounds be exchanged readily once in Tanzania? I'd prefer to take pounds instead of Euros or Dollars if they can be exchanged easily, as I will lose out twice getting some Dollars here in the UK.

11 replies to this topic
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,213 posts
98 reviews
62 helpful votes
1. Re: Exchanging pounds for shillings
Save

Hi there yes you can exchange at a bank but we don’t bother we just bring a card and use an ATM. There are plenty of ATMs in the towns these days. You can take out TSH 400,000 at a time

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
10 reviews
8 helpful votes
2. Re: Exchanging pounds for shillings
Save

Yes, you can exchange them at some banks not all. I once tried to exchange pounds at Crdb bank but I realized they don't accept pounds, I managed to exchange at KCB bank quickly.

In short , you can exchange them in some banks!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
106 reviews
70 helpful votes
3. Re: Exchanging pounds for shillings
Save

Great to know - I was planning to take cash as I had read that there was a paucity of ATMs.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
44,315 posts
568 reviews
536 helpful votes
4. Re: Exchanging pounds for shillings
Save

Most towns on the Safari circuit have Banks and also private 'Forex' shops.

I use the latter as the rates are often better, they post them outside on a board and give both buying and selling rates. Less form filling and quick. Your driver will know of a good one.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,213 posts
98 reviews
62 helpful votes
5. Re: Exchanging pounds for shillings
Save

Mfuwe,

I think you will find the government shut all the Forex shops.

You now have to go to the bank and the rates are pretty much all the same.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
44,315 posts
568 reviews
536 helpful votes
6. Re: Exchanging pounds for shillings
Save

Shep.

Thanks. I bet that won't last long. There was a good one about two doors down from Basecamp's office I used to use.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Oman, California, Yukon, Chile, Argentina, Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,834 posts
7 reviews
9 helpful votes
7. Re: Exchanging pounds for shillings
Save

As we don't like staying in a queue waiting to be served, we took all our money out of ATM's. And we always found some.

And we payed mostly via creditcard.

Edited: 24 January 2023, 01:54
Shotton, United...
Level Contributor
890 posts
8. Re: Exchanging pounds for shillings
Save

I think I've only been unable to change £s on one occasion (remember to take your passport) where as I've found ATMs hit and miss, some cards accepted others not.

Magufuli closed down the forex bureaux at the end of 2018 because most weren't paying tax apparently and that may explain why they used to offer really good rates.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
44,315 posts
568 reviews
536 helpful votes
9. Re: Exchanging pounds for shillings
Save

"Magufuli closed down the forex bureaux at the end of 2018"

That explains my misstook. I was last there in 2017 and Covid got in the way in 2019/20.

Shotton, United...
Level Contributor
890 posts
10. Re: Exchanging pounds for shillings
Save

Yeah, typical of Magufuli 'the bulldozer' instead of trying to regulate the Forex he just got rid of them. There was one in Kariokoo that was open 24 hours a day.

I've been caught out a couple of times because of bank holidays like Karume day and not been able to change cash.

Reply to: Exchanging pounds for shillings
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.