We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 nights, Victoria Falls and Chobe Reserve Safari

7 posts
1 review
8 nights, Victoria Falls and Chobe Reserve Safari

Hi and Thank you for your insight. My husband and I (very healthy active upper 50's), are flying to Victoria Falls for the purpose to enjoy the river and game in the area of the falls and Chobe Reserve for game watching. (We will have been to Capetown and Kruger prior to this location.) We will arrive in Victoria Falls by 9:00am September 10th, departing flight back to JNB 1:30pm Sept. 18th. Budget approx. US dollars $3,000. Car rental does not seemt o be my best bet, from what I can find out, as it appears to be way too expensive in automobile rental cost and time, (crossing over countries independently traveling). What do you suggest? Booking a travel tour? Booking 2 separate locations? I really need help doing this trip of a life time. The other two locations of Capetown Aug. 30th- Sept 5th, and areas of Kruger Reserve Sep 5th- 10th, areas are being done self drive and booking itineraries myself. All suggestions are appreciated! Any suggestions of booking itineraries in any of these locations, would be welcome :-) We are planning on Whale watching, Shark Cage Dive, etc. in the cape area. Some self drive in Kruger, some private guide.

African Wanderer Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours
ThisAndThat Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours
Ride Zimbabwe
Nature & Wildlife Tours
17 replies to this topic
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,478 posts
1 review
1. Re: 8 nights, Victoria Falls and Chobe Reserve Safari

So you spend 2-3 days in VF then Chobe for a few and even Hwange if you wish. Plenty of options.

7 posts
1 review
2. Re: 8 nights, Victoria Falls and Chobe Reserve Safari

Thank you. If possible, I would like suggestions of places/activities one has actually experienced.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
217 posts
284 reviews
3. Re: 8 nights, Victoria Falls and Chobe Reserve Safari

Hi Mary Louise! I would definitely avoid driving in Zimbabwe and Botswana. Even though the road blocks were broadly gone when we were last there in Jan, it is incredibly expensive with limited kms that will not come close to covering what you need. There were also petrol shortages that did cause additional stress, and all that without worrying about crossing borders. It is vastly different to SA, where you should have no problems at all.

You won't need a vehicle in Vic Falls itself - the town is very small, and transfers are generally included in most activities. If are independently minded travellers, you don't need to be on an official tour for this part.All the main hotels have tour offices where you can select and book onto your preferred activities. As to Chobe, unfortunately I can't help there - hopefully someone else will chime in here! However if you want any specific advice about Vic Falls activities or indeed CT let me know - am happy to help!

7 posts
1 review
4. Re: 8 nights, Victoria Falls and Chobe Reserve Safari

So kind of you to share your insight, thank you very much! I made the air travel dates, inorder to allow time to accommodate activities in VF, such as River rafting, etc. Any of your recommendations for the activity companies is wanted. Plus, onto the private or other reserves to enjoy the areas. But now I am stressing about not getting Itinerary to the reserves, unless booked now, and VERY pricey. Any advice is helpful.

Edited: 08 March 2018, 02:31
7 posts
1 review
5. Re: 8 nights, Victoria Falls and Chobe Reserve Safari

Rah Rha, So kind of you to share your insight, thank you very much! I made the air travel dates, allow time to accommodate activities in VF, such as River rafting, etc. Plus going onto the private or other reserves to enjoy the areas. But now I am stressing about not getting Itinerary to the reserves, unless booked now, and very pricey. Any advice?

Edited: 08 March 2018, 02:40
Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
293 posts
112 reviews
6. Re: 8 nights, Victoria Falls and Chobe Reserve Safari

Hi there

There are a whole host of activities you can do in Vic Falls. I’d recommend looking at the websites of any of Shockwave Adventures, Shearwater and/or Wild Horizons, who will all give details for very similar activities. None of the main activities are particularly cheap! I went rafting with Shockwave and found them very good. I also did Devil’s Pool in Zambia (just over the bridge), which I booked directly with Tongabezi - was pretty unique but depends if it’s your cup of tea! I didn’t take a tour of the Falls National park itself and found it very easy to navigate, so you can save some cash there (but still need to pay the entrance fee). Taxis round most places in Vic Falls that you’ll be going are $5, so very easy to get round. I stayed in Bayete Lodge which I found reasonably priced - there are a range of options but Vic Falls is fairly expensive compared to some other parts of Zim.

I did a few days in Chobe at Chobe Safari Lodge in Kasane. As far as I could tell, Kasane is the “cheaper” part of Chobe but I found the Safari experience quite busy and disappointing compared to Hwange. I should say, that was only my personal opinion.

You could consider taking the coach down to Hwange (I believe there is still a coach service but it has changed since I was there) and doing a safari there. I loved my time there and found it was better value for money than Chobe. It may be slightly more similar to Kruger than Chobe would be but depends what your aims are.

Have a great holiday!

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: 8 nights, Victoria Falls and Chobe Reserve Safari

I have only stayed at a private mobile camp in Hwange, but a colleague of mine has stayed at Ivory Lodge and said it was great. I think it’s probably cheaper than the high end camps like the Hide or Somalisa. So it might suit your needs. Hwange is a stunning Park.

Edited: 08 March 2018, 05:27
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
217 posts
284 reviews
8. Re: 8 nights, Victoria Falls and Chobe Reserve Safari

Hi Mary Louise. We were concerned about going to Chobe for exactly the reasons David mentions. I don't find anything pleasurable about 30 vehicles crowding one poor elephant,and I had a real concern this is what we would experience at Chobe as it is SO busy, and the actual reserve areas are quite small. We thought Hwange was fabulous and there is accommodation to meet all budgets - it will just depend on transportation. We hired a car ex Vic Falls, but as said I can't recommend this. We had a daily limit of 150km which is no way near enough - Hwange is a huge park and some of the best waterholes etc. are a pretty good drive. This made it difficult for us (we even took the car for an extra day we didn't need to get another 150km but it was no way near enough). The coach that David mentions no longer runs (or it certainly wasn't as of Jan), so I think the only real option is private transfer down there? I did a quick google and it looks as though they are gearing up for a luxury train journey... but I don't know anything about it beyond what is in this article.

https:/…

BTW you might enjoy a horseback safari ex Vic Falls - we are competent riders and we found it excellent. Don't let the owner put you off... the guides are fantastic. We went out by ourselves with 2 guides and saw giraffe, zebra, buffalo etc.. It is so peaceful not to be in a vehicle and of course the animals are far more relaxed. We absolutely loved it.

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
293 posts
112 reviews
9. Re: 8 nights, Victoria Falls and Chobe Reserve Safari

I know the greyhound type coach is no longer running but I had seen mention of a smaller company doing coach type (non-private) transfers between Vic Falls and Hwange. I’m sure Boo from victoriafalls-guide.net had mentioned it. If you’re interested in Hwange, it may be worth looking into that. Perhaps it only runs at certain times of year.

Someone above mentioned Ivory Lodge. I stayed in their sister lodge, Khulu Ivory, which was amazing, including an epic couple of hours watching about 200 elephants at the watering hole, trumpeting and trampling around in all directions. They did free transfers from the coach stop and it was all inclusive so a full programme of guided drives was included in the price. It is possible to self drive but I can say for sure that if I had done so I would not have seen everything I did.

7 posts
1 review
10. Re: 8 nights, Victoria Falls and Chobe Reserve Safari

Thank you David, you have helped me a lot!

Reply to: 8 nights, Victoria Falls and Chobe Reserve Safari
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted