We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Vic Falls

Level Contributor
29 posts
First time in Vic Falls

Hi everybody,

Could you kindly share some advice regarding what to do on a short two-three days stay in Vic Falls? Outlook Cafe? Meet the Elephants? Elephant rides? Hiking? Zambezi river sunset boat cruise?

Any thoughts (negative or positive) regarding Bayette Guest Lodge (Zim side)?

We are already spending much more than we planned, so we are thinking the helicopter ride is out of our reach this time. But if you have any tips regarding the most affordable way to book it, please let us know!

All advice and information is much appreciated!

All the best

12 replies to this topic
Victoria Falls...
Level Contributor
455 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: First time in Vic Falls

Firstly i would say Bayete is a very nice lodge to stay. Two to three days its enough to do even more activities and the helicopter its a must to do at this time of the year because of high levels of water going over the falls.

On your arrival you can do the sunset cruise, the next day do the falls hiking and take a break at LOOK OUT CAFE which is next to the falls entrance. After having your lunch at Look Out cafe you can them go meet some Elephants.

Level Contributor
29 posts
2. Re: First time in Vic Falls

Thank you very much for your kind response!

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: First time in Vic Falls

I stayed at Bayete last year and found it a delightful place. Very comfortable, simple but good dinners provided at a reasonable price. Rooms are big and clean and the gardens, pool and bar/restaurant were lovely.

I enjoyed the sunset cruise, it was a lovely way to spend the late afternoon. I wouldn’t do the elephant walk/ride myself as I prefer to see Elephants in the wild. We didn’t do the Helicopter but we were there in late Aug when you can view the Falls a little more clearly from the walk.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
243 posts
55 reviews
4. Re: First time in Vic Falls

Before you ride an elephant, do some reading about how elephants are "broken" so that they can be ridden by tourists. Do you really want to support this cruelty?

Paisley, Scotland
Level Contributor
288 posts
112 reviews
5. Re: First time in Vic Falls

I have also stayed in Bayete and found it to be good.

I was there for two days, first day I did the falls, lookout cafe and then crossed into Zambia for devils pool then back to Zim for Boma dinner at night. Second day I did rafting and then left for Chobe late afternoon.

In hindsight I’d probably have swapped Boma for a sunset cruise but that’s a personal preference. There are loads of activities and you could have a look on Shockwave Adventures website to see more - they are a local provider and can book you onto most things.

I didn’t do a helicopter flight as I didn’t have the cash and was prioritising the other things.

Personally I would not do one of the animal experiences. I would much rather see them in the wild and I am never sure that these things are as ethical as they often claim.

You can do a day safari to Chobe and experience them in the wild if you want.

The safari options you chose probably depend what else you are doing and I’m assuming you’ll be spending some more time in Africa as part of your trip.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,418 posts
1 review
6. Re: First time in Vic Falls

Please don't do the Elephant ride, search the web for the cruelty of this,

Day Trip to Chobe and the Sunset Cruise are two must do's as well as the Falls.

Level Contributor
29 posts
7. Re: First time in Vic Falls

Yes, I see what you are saying. At the same time, just going there, meaning, doing these types of safari activities is already an “invasion”of the animals territory. We, humans are now almost everywhere. I hate zoos and circus and would rather have animals safe and left alone in the wild, no human interference whatsoever. The main argument for us, humans to do these types of things is to support the rest of wildlife still surviving our increasing encrohment. That said, i agree with you that riding elephants or seeing people riding them would probably make me feel depressed. I do hope to have the privilege to see them in the wild, though. Take care.

Level Contributor
29 posts
8. Re: First time in Vic Falls

Thank you everybody for your comments and suggestions! Maybe one day we can start a movement on boycotting the elephant rides, at least in Africa! Such majestic and intelligent animals certainly don’t deserve this type of treatment.

Level Contributor
29 posts
9. Re: First time in Vic Falls

Thank you everybody for your comments and suggestions! Maybe one day we can start a movement on boycotting the elephant rides, at least in Africa! Such majestic and intelligent animals certainly don’t deserve this type of treatment.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
243 posts
55 reviews
10. Re: First time in Vic Falls

There is a big campaign on-going in South Africa called #HandsOffOurWildlife for all wild animal interactions. Check it out, the more people that help educate others about these practices the better.

Reply to: First time in Vic Falls
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted