We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA flight from Victoria Falls to Jo'burg

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
BA flight from Victoria Falls to Jo'burg

Hi there,

I am unable to do the online check in for my BA flight back to Johannesburg tomorrow. The website said that they can't provide online check in for this route, and we must check in at the airport.

Is this normal? Or should I be worried about this?

I am worried about this. Because after we arrive at Jo'burg, we have to catch our long flights home to SFO tomorrow.

Thank you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA flight from Victoria Falls to Jo'burg

Yes it is a small operator so you have to check in at the airport! They don't have those facilities at the Victoria falls airport, just ask to be sure you are in the correct queue.

Bedford, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA flight from Victoria Falls to Jo'burg

I'm on the BA flight to/from Vic Falls in two weeks so just wondering how long you were in the immigration visa line upon arrival to Vic Falls. We have 3 hours to connect in JNB on the return so also wondering how long it took you to get through the transfer desk/security and into international departure zone once landing in jnb.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA flight from Victoria Falls to Jo'burg

Depends where you sit on the plane...if you're in the back, your visa queue could be an hour long! Get off the plane, walk fast into the terminal, grab a form and fill it out in line. Have exact cash. 3 hrs in JNB is lots of time.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA flight from Victoria Falls to Jo'burg

Yes, get off the plane fast, and get in line! We got out fast, except we pre-paid transfer with Wild Horizon, they had other guest to pick up for the ride into town. We waited for almost 45 minutes for them to collect everyone. Had I known this earlier, I would not book the transfer, and just get a taxi into town.

We had about 3 and half hours connection time from vic falls to Jo'burg for our international flight home. 3 hours is plenty of time, as long as your flight out of vic falls is not delayed.

There is an international connection inside Jo'burg airport, however, we flew in via BA, and our international flight is Emirate airlines. Sol we had to go out to collect our bags, and go through check in and security again. But 3 hours is plenty of time to do this.

Bedford, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA flight from Victoria Falls to Jo'burg

Thanks HT. We also have to switch airlines to South Aftican back to Dulles but we only have carry on and I hope to check in online before we leave Vic Falls.

One more question, was BA strict on the 7kg weight limit for carryons? Did they actually weigh them either in SA or Vic Falls? We are right at 7 kg now but was hoping to get a few small souviners.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA flight from Victoria Falls to Jo'burg

They never weighted any carry on bags. I think you should be fine. My husband's backpack was VERY heavy.

They were strict on the check in bags, one of our suitcase was over limit, we had to move some things into our other two suitcases.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA flight from Victoria Falls to Jo'burg

Make sure you get to the airport 3 or 4 hours early when departing Victoria Falls if you are flying BA. We arrived on time last week and were then denied a seat because they over booked the flight by about 13 people. No buts, they didn't care we had long haul flights that night out of J'burg. They promised to fix all our connecting flights the next day but when we got to J'Burg we could not check in, no ticket ! Qantas were fantastic and told us BA/Comair would have known about this but did not say anything because it would have cost them to re-ticket. absolute nightmare.

When contacted to complain and request compensation they offered 1000ZAR, about $100.00.

My advice is do not fly BA/Comair to or from Victoria Falls, choose South Africa Airways. I and all of our travelling party (7) will never fly BA again, ruined a fantastic holiday.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA flight from Victoria Falls to Jo'burg

Wow, I am so sorry to hear about this awful experience! That's exactly what I was worried about when I couldn't do online checkin for the flight back to Jo'burg.

We arrived at the airport about 2 hours before the flight, luckily we got on the flight fine.

We did have a crazy problem on the flight into Victoria falls. BA/Comair couldn't match up the luggage with the passengers on board, so, they had called everyone (already seated) back down onto the tarmac to identified their suitcases! Totally nuts, and delayed our flight by about an hour.

Perth, W.A.
Level Contributor
57 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA flight from Victoria Falls to Jo'burg

Wow, I wonder how often BA overbook that flight? I'm looking at booking flights from VFA to JNB in January & BA are cheaper than SAA. Our flight home leaves JNB at 9:15pm or thereabouts, so I was wondering if it's OK to do both flights on the same day & I guess the answer is "as long as you don't get bumped off the plane!"

Mark - did Qantas just rebook you? How did it work out?

Bedford, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA flight from Victoria Falls to Jo'burg

We just returned yesterday. We had a road transfer from Kasane, Botswana (2 hours) and arrived at Vic Falls airport about 2 hours before the flight. There was a huge line for BA check in since on Sundays they have two BA flights 10 minutes apart. It was a mess with only two check in people working but they managed to get everyone processed and we departed 10 minutes late. Our international connection in jnb was at 6:25 and we even had time to do some shopping.

Other information....on arrival in Vic Falls we had to buy our visa which only took us about 5 minutes. We were quick off the plane as suggested by others, but it didn't help much since we had booked transfers and had to wait for 6 other people.... Who were last to appear!

BA did not weigh our bags or seem to pay attention to their hand luggage rules. They did weigh every checked bag.

We were able to check in online for the flight to Vic Falls but not the return.

Hope that helps.