We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vic Falls Malaria zone?

Fort Worth
10 posts
Save Topic
Vic Falls Malaria zone?

Is it really necessary to take anti-malaria medication when planning a trip to Vic Falls? Are there any other precautions to take (yellow fever, etc)?

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vic Falls Malaria zone?

The area is in the malaria zone - and malaria is prevalent - I personally caught malaria whilst working there.

For Tourists visiting the area, I would strongly recommend taking anti-malarial medication - for which you should consult your Doctor - and for using antimalarial creams.

The problem really comes from the fact that the symptoms of Malaria are often mistaken for common illnesses such as colds or flu - especially when your home Doctor is not used to treating malaria.

Yellow Fever is not prevalent in the area, however, if you enter Zambia - which is listed as Yellow Fever Country - so by entering Zambia you will then need a Yellow Fever Certificate when returning to South Africa . Irritating, but necessary.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,298 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vic Falls Malaria zone?

Depends on time of year.

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vic Falls Malaria zone?

True Lamlee - you are at higher risk of malaria during the wet season - December to April. But there is still a risk at other times of the year.

Fort Worth
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vic Falls Malaria zone?

Thank you everyone! I appreciate it

Dubai
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Vic Falls Malaria zone?

Hi All

Jumping in late on this one, I am also about to travel to Vic Falls and Hwange. I plan on taking the anti malaria but I wanted to know if anyone knows about Hep A & Typhoid? Is it something that is in these areas I only seem to be able to find online about Harare.

Thanks!

Dubai
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Vic Falls Malaria zone?

Hi All

Jumping in late on this one, I am also about to travel to Vic Falls and Hwange. I plan on taking the anti malaria but I wanted to know if anyone knows about Hep A & Typhoid? Is it something that is in these areas I only seem to be able to find online about Harare.

Thanks!

Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vic Falls Malaria zone?

I'm a little late as well. I'm planning a trip to Vic Falls in July along with a safari in South Africa and Botswana. My doctor recommended the Yellow Fever vaccine just to be on the safe side. I also took Typhoid and Hep A and updated my MMR and T-Dap. He recommended antimalaria meds as well. I'd rather be safe than have my trip ruined.

8. Re: Vic Falls Malaria zone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 12:15