We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bot fly

Bot fly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2013, 04:17
Ilminster, United...
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
5,809 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bot fly

Hi

enter bot fly in our search engine plenty of info and one or two of our members have experienced it first hand fairly rare some good you tube videos of their removal The thing that makes me shudder is the official advise (in order not to have them break up during removal) that you should simply ignore them till they exit and fly away rgds

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
4,531 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bot fly

Hi Amybowman

I thought I had one of these in my knuckle as it swelled up something awful but it turned out to be just a really nasty bite!!

I don't think you really have anything to worry about!! Although I will leave it for others that have come across them to explain!!

Breeze

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
763 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bot fly

Bot fly, or 'mango fly' as it is known in TG is uncommon in humans, you will see lots of animals especially dogs with it. Simple precautions like not leaving towels out to dry at night, and ironing any clothes you have washed, will keep the problem at bay. The adult flies lay eggs in damp areas ( including wet clothes) and the larvae then wait for a warm blooded animal to lay/sit on them and they then bore into the skin and grow.

rgds

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bot fly

l was paranoid over the bot fly too at first but it hasn't stopped me going and nor would it. You will have so much going on there that the bot fly will not even enter your head (pardon the pun).

Get it booked and have a brilliant time

Edited: 02 January 2013, 04:47
Tanji, Gambia
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bot fly

Try not to let it put you off. I have lived here for nearly four years and have never had one. I know all the precautions and they are wise words but I am afraid I don't always remember to follow them!

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bot fly

Something on the bot fly on bbc2 now

7. Re: Bot fly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2013, 04:17
New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
763 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bot fly

Informative link-

health24.com/child/…35217.asp

rgds

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,423 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bot fly

The Dogs can be cured by putting them in Salt water, Suffocates the Worms. Other thing is putting Vasaline on the Spots, which do the Same.

It is easy to Sqeeze out the Worms as well..

Humans can do same thing, Vasaline and Salt Water..

Don't be put off, there are only few that get them..

Market Harborough
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bot fly

Amy...I have spent long spells here and had never even heard of the bot fly until this thread. Don't let it put you off. Just going to get my towel off the line !!

Get answers to your questions about Gambia