We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow fever 🤒 vaccine

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Yellow fever 🤒 vaccine

Hey 👋🏻 everybody I’m wondering if anybody can give me some advice please because I’m in two minds here as I’m supposed to be going to gambia 🇬🇲 next Tuesday for two weeks but I’ve only just found out last night that I had to have the yellow fever 🤒 vaccine ten days before I go away so I had it done ✅ today as none of the nurses at my doctors told me about the 10 day rule btw I’ve rang two gambia 🇬🇲 embassy’s in London this morning and both of them have said to me that I don’t really need the yellow fever 🤒 vaccine and the nhs staff have said to me that I need it still so now I’m very confused 🤷🏻‍♂️ about it all and I would be really grateful if anyone would give me some advice about this issue many thanks 🙏🏻 Daniel.

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
London
London
England, UK
39 replies to this topic
St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellow fever 🤒 vaccine

Well you have had it now so it doesn't matter. But no you don't need it to go to Gambia. You only need it when you are COMING from one yellow fever country to another, and the UK doesn't have yellow fever. So if you decide to go to Senegal to do a Safari, you are covered now, as that's a yellow fever country like Gambia.

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Senegal
Senegal
Africa
London, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellow fever 🤒 vaccine

There has been no Yellow Fever in West Africa since mid 1970's.

Many tourists do a trip with Gambia Experience over to Senegal, and the rep assured me a certificate is neither needed nor asked for.

You may however wish to ponder why some of the richest people in the world are in the pharmaceutical industry . . .

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Senegal
Senegal
Africa
surrey
Level Contributor
125 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellow fever 🤒 vaccine

I have just been to my local surgery today to get an update on what vaccinations I need for the Gambia. She has told me I will definitely need yellow fever or they will not let me into the Gambia and if I haven't had it they will not let me back into the UK cost £55

I will also need Rabies £55x3 and HepB £55x3

Plus malerone which I know I will need

I am not sure if she is on commission but is this correct. She has frightened the life out of me telling me that if i contact anyof these nasty diseases it can cost up the a million pounds to get my body home as the insurance company will not cover me as I have been advised by my surgery to have these vaccinations.

I am beginning to wonder if I should have ever booked this holiday

Any advise would be very much appreciated

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Eton, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellow fever 🤒 vaccine

YF is not needed so you're quite OK as has been said, and should you happen to be in the 65+ age bracket I understand the innoculation is not now even recommended for you.

Give my love to Gambia!

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Eton, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellow fever 🤒 vaccine

Post 3 - while advice from forum members should generally not be relied on for medical matters, on this occasion I would stress to you that unless perhaps you have a very unusual medical history then you need neither YF or Rabies. No doubt they have been mentioned as 'advisories' - but unless you are spending weeks inland, and/or have the likely prospect of being bitten by monkeys or dogs, then quite unnecessary. So please relax. And while Gambian facilites are not fantastic there are several private clinics for emergencies that know what they're doing. Again, relax!

At the coast, just keep taking the Malarone. Maybe carry some Imodium Original, and I take a pen-like stick called AfterBite I buy at Boots - useful for dabbing on any nips to prevent scratching, and then infection.

surrey
Level Contributor
125 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellow fever 🤒 vaccine

Many thanks for your reply. can you elaborate on the over 65 years. We are both over 65

Eton, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellow fever 🤒 vaccine

Well, to answer that I suggest you phone any Travel Clinic that offers YF and enquire. But its been mentioned many times on here by various members that YF is now not recommended for older people. Presumaby for some people there are contraindications, but I'm not a medic!

You might want to look below, but you might not! I think you have to read between the lines. For TG much of what is mentioned is only recommended, and not for all travellers. Short-term visitors for example. And age is mentioned in connection with YF, in the drop-down.

https:/…Vaccine_recommendations

Edited: 09 January 2018, 19:47
San Francisco...
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellow fever 🤒 vaccine

What ever happened with your situation? My fiancé is going to the Gambia also and he was told to have yellow fever, typhoid fever, and malaria medication while he is there. Did you take malaria medication while you were in Africa?

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
San Francisco...
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellow fever 🤒 vaccine

Is one Of those medications for malaria? Have you taken malaria pills before? I heard by some people that they make them feel quite nauseous. Can you reply to me ASAP because my fiancé is traveling to the Gambia for a month and a half

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Torfaen
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellow fever 🤒 vaccine

Thearenee,

Malaria medication is strongly recommended for visitors to The Gambia. I have been there approx 40 times and always taken medication.

Medication can be in different forms, including Malarone, Larium, and Doxycicline. (or their generic equivalent)

Yellow Fever, and Rabies in NOT mandatory its up to you. I have never had the Rabies jab but I did have yellow fever jab many years ago.

Talk to your local doctor or nurse about the best malaria medication for you. Rgds

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Reply to: Yellow fever 🤒 vaccine
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Banjul
Recent Conversations
More Banjul Topics