We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

loved it!!!

england
Level Contributor
52 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
loved it!!!

after seven years thinking of it, finally went to Gambia for our holidays and loved it!! Stayed at Sunbeach Cape Point and explored Baku Market, and walked to Kombo Beach all the way up Atlantic Avenue. Did Monkey Park, Croc park, Lamin Lodge and enjoyed plenty of music at Mr Boss. We had perfect weather although forecasts show loads of cloud cor the next week. Anyone thinking of going do it!!!

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Kombo Beach Hotel
Kombo Beach Hotel
1,160 Reviews
Kotu, Gambia
Lamin Lodge
Lamin Lodge
163 Reviews
Lamin, Gambia
17 replies to this topic
Lichfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
397 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: loved it!!!

Long walk down Atlantic Ave, but if you catch it just past British Embassy on an army recruit running/training/singing day that is something to be seen. How do you run backwards in line, turn, clap in sync and be happy at the same time....

Level Contributor
109 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: loved it!!!

I’ve wanted to visit Gambia for years! I loved this post sounds like you really enjoyed it.

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
3. Re: loved it!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 April 2018, 19:35

Lichfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
397 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: loved it!!!

Glad you enjoyed your stay, the six hour trip is well worth the effort and do stay updated with all the old Europeans who sit on the the beach here...but that is not all we do.

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: loved it!!!

I have booked the sunbeach for next February so your info was very useful, thanks!

We stayed 5 years ago at the Senegambia but didn’t go a lot on the hotel. Like The Gambia though, colourful isn’t it?

Mentioned in this post
Senegambia Beach Hotel
Senegambia Beach Hotel
1,380 Reviews
Serekunda, Gambia
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
651 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: loved it!!!

#1 I once saw this, there were hundreds of men running on the beach in formation. What struck us was the array of foot wear, some even had flip flops on. The abiding memory was at the back was a boy struggling, he was lagging behind. With him was another man we assume someone in charge, he had his hand on the boys shoulder encouraging him to continue. It really was a wonder ours sight.

Lichfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
397 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: loved it!!!

Yes that is barracks recruit training probably from Fajara. No National Subscription but the parents buy the uniforms hence the mix of dress codes, but it is a job and regular food supplies. And one area where the girls ARE treated equally.

London, UK
Level Contributor
334 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: loved it!!!

I'm thinking of going as we speak. I have some annual leave to use up and all I want is somewhere warm for a seven night holiday. I have been solo travelling my whole life and love it and don't really have a problem with the s ex tourism as long as they don't harass me and as long as I don't see children being exploited. But what is putting me off is the potential harassment as a solo 40 y o woman who DEFINITELY is not up for those things at all. I abhor the thought of travelling halfway across the world to buy what I can get for free back home. Ha ha !!! I heard Gambia is rife for this and I just don't want to spend my holiday exhaustively saying 'no thank you' for a week. The flights and hotels are working out way cheaper than Penang which was my initial choice. Decisions. Any advice?

Edited: 30 July 2018, 14:45
Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
331 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: loved it!!!

Onelifeliveit.you will get pestered no matter which RESORT you pick in gambia.especially as you are a single women travelling on your own.if you go site seeing just get a tourist guide that way you don't get pestered or if anyone can recommend a good guide or even a good taxi driver.even i still get pestered and ive been going for over 20 yrs.ive stopped saying no thanks along time ago .I don't talk back i just walk and walk and walk they soon get fedup

Level Contributor
377 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: loved it!!!

Hi onelifeliveit, as a lone female traveler I think that no matter where you go you will attract attention,but if you have been traveling around then you will be used to it and no doubt know how to deal with it.As tigers says get yourself a guide/driver who will look after you and you won't have any problems.Have sent you a PM.

Reply to: loved it!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Banjul
Recent Conversations
More Banjul Topics