We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Mulanje hiking

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
49 posts
56 reviews
Mount Mulanje hiking

Hi!

I'll be hiking in mount mulanje for 2 days this October

we won't be reaching the top, only enjoying views and waterfalls

wanted to ask if it is very really necessary to wear durable hiking boots? or did any of you see anyone doing it with just sport shoes? this is going to be our only hike, thinking if we need to carry the heavy hiking boots just for that.

thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
28 posts
1. Re: Mount Mulanje hiking

Sports shoes should do it,the 3 hour hike to the water falls is not intensive enough to warrant the need for durable hiking boots,seen many people do just fine with sports shoes,it's the long 5 day hike that you might worry about

Bochum, Germany
Level Contributor
34 posts
2. Re: Mount Mulanje hiking

Hi,how do you do only the hike to the waterfall? Is a guide needed for this? Would love to have some info about the trail and where to start etc.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
49 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: Mount Mulanje hiking

Thank you for your reply Jake R!

And Hi Jerre11, we are hiking more than the waterfall but not planning to reach the summit, so it will be an easy hike for 2 days 1 night, to swimming pools waterfalls and some nice views. Im not sure which route is that exactly , we will sleep in CCAP hut. and the trail starts at Likhubula (We are also going to spend the night before the hike at Likhubula hikers nest)

I think you should hire a guide, I contacted a guide via email after reading some recommendations on trip advisor!

Bochum, Germany
Level Contributor
34 posts
4. Re: Mount Mulanje hiking

Hi, yeah I know that you should get a guide for the difficult summit climb. But I don't know, if you have to have one for just walking up to the huts and the walk to the waterfall. Would love to do it only with my girlfriend ...

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Mount Mulanje hiking

We have just been up the mountain staying in the CCAP mountain lodge for one night. Some of us wore hiking boots. others firm sports shoes. It was very dry. I would feel that you would be best served by wearing good hiking boots, especially if the rains have come and the ground is wet. Make sure you take a guide

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: Mount Mulanje hiking

Likumbula falls are about 45mins walk from the entrance to the reserve and a relatively easy walk. even so best to get a guide. They are very easy to hire and speak good English. Going to one of the lodges required a little more fitness, which some us (me in particular) did not have so felt tired, but definitely doable. Needs to be booked in advance and best to take a porter as well who takes the food for you. You will love it which ever you do.

Gairloch
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Mount Mulanje hiking

Decent footwear is always recommended in mountainous terrain but, if using 'sports shoes', your comfort will depend on the thickness of the soles. Too thin and you will feel every stoneon undefoot.

Reply to: Mount Mulanje hiking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted