We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border crossing Botswana-Zambia

6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Border crossing Botswana-Zambia

Hi,

We’re doing a road trip to southern Africa this fall. From Senyati safari camp to Victoria falls (accomodation Zambian side) we have two options:

1. Leave the rental car at Senyati safari camp (they have security guard, hope it will be safe), travel with bus/car transport arranged by Senyati to Vic. falls(and back two days later)

2. Drive ourself with rental car, cross borders at Kazungula and back two days later (Nata lodge after Vic. falls)

Question:

1. Which one is better/ more convenient? (2 adults 2 children age 8 and 10)

2. Crossing with the ferry, do we get to Zambia or Zimbabwe? Reading on the internet confuses me on more than one level;-)

3. I can’t figure out which option is cheapest or if they are about the same (transfer/transport by car/bus is P450 each (total of P1900) and parking (P100), pluss visa fee.

4. Is it possible to get a visa that allows multiple entries to both Zambia and Zimbabwe?

If you can answer some of my questions- thank you so much!:-)

8 replies to this topic
Jackson, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,231 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Border crossing Botswana-Zambia

1. My thought = leave the car in Kasane

2. Ferry goes to Zam, ground transfer to Zim

4. Yes, the Kaza Visa offers Zim/Zam combo

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
517 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Border crossing Botswana-Zambia

Senyati! Best place!

don't have any answer on the border crossing.....

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Border crossing Botswana-Zambia

Thanks!

Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Border crossing Botswana-Zambia

We went to Zim 2 years ago on a full day trip to Vic falls organized by Senyati and it went very well. We decided to leave the car in Senyati and hire a tour because some people told us there are several police controls aiming at getting money from self driving tourists. In fact, we were stopped a couple of times in the car with our guide, but since they are use to it they know how to handle it.

I don’t know how it is at Zambia.

Aldbourne, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Border crossing Botswana-Zambia

We did this crossing back and forth a couple of months ago with our own Land Rover Discovery.

You will be hassled by young guys acting as unofficial helpers to get you through the various buildings, paperwork and ferry, we thought that as well travelled in Africa types, that we could do without them..wrong, it’s such a maze of confusion like no confusion you’ve ever seen before and everything both sides looks like a war zone when a bomb has hit it. You’ll also pass huge queues of trucks that take three weeks to get through here, but they find it safer than driving through Zimbabwe.

For around Pula 200/ R200 ( or any other currancy also works) they will guide you through the border controls, they also “look after” the ferryman so you are straight on to to ferry and they help you through the other side too, we soon realised it’s money well spent although it will still take about two hours to complete what is actually just a five minute crossing, not sure your kids will enjoy it, it’s the most frustrating place we’ve been to in 24 months of travelling Southern Africa. Make sure you have plenty of either currency and plenty of US Dollars...you will need all of them, the guys will change money for you, you won’t get an excellent rate but it won’t be too bad..to be honest by 1.5 hours you’ll pay anybody anything to get away from there.

Edited: 28 January 2018, 17:58
Aldbourne, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Border crossing Botswana-Zambia

We must of gone through40 odd police stop road blocks in Zambia but all were well north of Vic Falls and not once did any of them be anything other than polite, and no money was asked for.

Also if you do drive yourself you could drive through the Chobe Park just south of Kasane..it’s a fantastic self drive area.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
58 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Border crossing Botswana-Zambia

Our experience in crossing the border was similar to Guenoc's as described above. While I never felt threatened by the many touts who approached us and tried to get us to pay them for their "help", it was none the less offputting. You have to deal with the touts, customs, immigration, pay a roads tarrif, dicker with insurance, etc. And none of it is linear, you get bounced from one room to the next in no apparent order.

This border crossing was the most chaotic of any country I've entered. One example? You pay your ferry fee while on the ferry going from Botswana into Zambia. But on the way back, you must pay BEFORE getting onto the ferry. We found this out the hard/stressful way after having waited for an hour to board, only to then be told that we hadn't yet paid. The guy was trying to force us back off the ferry, but we persevered. Another example?...this was the only border I've crossed where the touts are flowing freely into the government workers space. They were literally going behind the counter, to the desks, and working with the officials to fill out paperwork. Sketchy.

For a quick 2 day visit, my vote would be to leave your own car behind and pay the vendor to take you across. You won't really need your car much for that brief of a stay. (If you do decide to take your rental car across, make certain that you've discussed this with your rental company and that you have all of the authorizing papers secured. They will be needed at the border.)

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Border crossing Botswana-Zambia

Thank you for all the advice! The car will be left behind:-) With the kids crossing the border on our own might be an unpleasant happening.

Reply to: Border crossing Botswana-Zambia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted