We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

double cab 4x4 with two roof top tents - how much space?

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
7 helpful votes
double cab 4x4 with two roof top tents - how much space?
Save

Hi, We're travelling around Namibia for all of August with my two teenage boys. I'm wondering how much space there is for bags in a Toyota Hilux double cab 4x4 with two roof top tents and all the camping equipment?

We're hoping to bring extra bedding too as it's winter, does this stay in the tent when it's folded away?

Also, do the fridges (40l) fit enough food for 3 days for a family of four (only meat, dairy and veggies I'm guessing will go in there). I've three men (two teenage boys) to cater for, and have become obsessed with supermarket locations to try and figure out how this will be achieved when camping for a lot of the time.

Thank you for any answers.

11 replies to this topic
Odense, Denmark
Level Contributor
37 posts
29 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: double cab 4x4 with two roof top tents - how much space?
Save

Hi Chloe,

We did our Namibia trip as a couple in a Nissan NP300, but you are going to have roughly the same amount of space in the Toyota Hilux as far as I know. I would say that you should pack relatively light for all your luggage to fit in the back with all the equipment.

We had a 100 liter backpack, a 70 liter backpack as well as two smaller backpacks for our camera and computer gear - and that just fit in the back with everything pretty tightly packed. So I wouldn't want to exceed that amount of luggage, but it really shouldn't be much of an issue. The most important thing in my opinion is, that you pack in soft bags rather than suitcases, as it'll make it easier to fit them in.

Extra bedding is probably a good idea in August - you are in for some cold nights. As long as it is not too thick, it should be able to stay in the tent when it is folded down - without a problem. We left our extra blankets as well as some clothes up there when driving, and it didn't cause any problems.

So the 40 L fridge is not really what you'll be used to from home - but it should be enough to keep you going. We ended up buying a bunch of meat, a lot of rice / pasta, some vegetables and diced tomatoes. It didn't make for the most interesting meals, but it didn't take up too much room in the fridge, and once cooked we could save the leftovers for a few days in plastic bags. You might not have leftovers for as many days, but that's the approach that worked best for us in terms of maxing out our fridge storage.

As to supermarkets, we actually managed to keep our grocery shopping to two times during our two weeks there; once in Windhoek and once in Swakopmund. It is definitely easier to stock up in the bigger cities, but smaller towns as well as many campsites do have some kind of store, where you can buy enough to not go hungry to bed.

I hope it was to some help, and that maybe others who actually did the trip in a Hilux as 4 persons will reply as well. Enjoy your trip when the time comes - you are in for an amazing experience.

Vellano, Italy
Level Contributor
614 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: double cab 4x4 with two roof top tents - how much space?
Save

Based on your itinerary I could answer you more precisely.

I did many trips through Namibia and Botswana. What makes a huge difference is where you're going and for how many days you won't come across anything, not even a fuel station with a small shop. Botswana is tougher in this regard. During my last trip I had to cater myself for up to 10 days with your same setting: toyota hilux double cab and 40l fridge. I made it with no issues but was alone. Having no chance to buy anything, what occupied most of the space was water and woods. Assuming you'l do a classic tour in Namibia, there is a good chance that at least once a day you come across a fuel station where you can always find drinks, and in most campsites you would find wood to buy at receptions. So when you stock-up you rather focus on food while you can stay lighter with water and woods as these can be easily found all around at the small shops on your way. You use the 40l fridge to keep meat, cheese, butter, milk while the drinks can stay in the ammo boxes or just back in the canopy. Veggies can also stay in the ammo boxes and rolled in newspapers. As long as you keep veggies and fruits in a closed area with no direct sunshine, things like potatoes, some salads, onion, garlic, carrots, broccoli, apples ect. will last for up 1 week. So if your plan is on a 3 days basis I'd say you can pretty much buy whatever you want as long as you're skilled in space management. As Joachim said, tins, rice and pasta will last forever, do not need a fridge, and relatively cheap in space. The problem of being 4 people is the luggage. While I had only mine, you will have at least 4 and that makes obviously a huge difference a part from having to buy food for 4 people.

If I had to plan a 10 days no-nothing stretch, for 4 would be impossible in one vehicle with no trailer, so would split in 2 cars. But if you're not going crazy in terms of "out in nowhere" it could work since you could stock up in water and wood every day.

Your packing skills will be challenged, but once you get the vehicle and with a good teamwork, I think it's doable. I've seen many double cabs with 4 people an RTT along the way...which does not necessarily mean they where camping all the time, perhaps they had the tents for just 4-5 days out of a 2 or 3 weeks trips, so they didn't have to manage the space that much.

So it really depends on where you're going and for how many days you won't come across anything. In Namibia this rather happens deep in Kaokovled in the north or off the beaten roads in Damaraland.

For the kind of travel I do, your configuration would be impossible for me. To mange 4 people to be catered for 10 days, I'd need a trailer. But this doesn't seem your case so...

If you stop for 2 nights in Windhoek when you arrive, take the time to know your vehicle and your configuration the next morning, and then go shopping. A menu plan you agreed in the family for the 3 days will help you to do the shopping accordingly. Teamwork will be a key word.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
7 helpful votes
3. Re: double cab 4x4 with two roof top tents - how much space?
Save

Thank you. That's really helpful. Our itinerary is about 40% camping but we're not going to the North West. We are going to the Zambezi area. I felt with two teenage boys a bit less used to far flung kind of travel, we'd go a bit easier:

Windhoek - 1 day (supermarket)

Mariental - 1 day

Fish River Canyon - 1 day, CAMP

Luderitz (Kolmanskop) - 2 days (supermarket)

Tiras Mountains - 1 day

Sossusvlei - 1 day, CAMP

Namib - Naukluft Mountains, 2 days CAMP

Walvis / Swakop - 3 days (supermarket)

Spitzkoppe- 1 day, CAMP

Damaraland (Twyfelfontein) - 2 days, CAMP (will pass supermarket at Uis on way to Tsyfelfontein)

Etosha - Okaukuejo - 2 days, CAMP (supermarket at Outju en route)

Etosha - Halali

Etosha - Onguma - 2 days, CAMP

Grootfontein

Divundu - 2 days (supermarket)

Kwando - 2 days, CAMP

Shakawe - 2 days

Ghanzi

Gobabis

Windhoek area - 2 days

If I've done my planning and supermarket research correctly I think we're going to be OK! though as advised might stock up on dry goods just in case.

Vellano, Italy
Level Contributor
614 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: double cab 4x4 with two roof top tents - how much space?
Save

You definitely will be ok. You will find smaller shops/fuel stations everyday, so water, woods, snacks and fuel can be purchased on daily basis according to your route, even inside Etosha.

Good packing skills and you're just fine.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
7 helpful votes
5. Re: double cab 4x4 with two roof top tents - how much space?
Save

Excellent. Thank you. I think my packing sills are OK, after various boat trips. Don't intend to bring large amounts of clothing and other stuff (we've not got loads of camera kit for example). Will aim to do laundry en-route. The extra bedding had me slightly worried, but if that will squash down in roof top tents, we should be OK.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,855 posts
120 reviews
164 helpful votes
6. Re: double cab 4x4 with two roof top tents - how much space?
Save

There's a great Spar supermarket in Outjo. It's well stocked. I absolutely loved camping in Spitzkoppe. I did it for one night and it was one of the highlights of my trip.

For Sossusvlei, I camped at the Sossus Oasis Campsite.

Edited: 23 January 2023, 02:04
London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
7 helpful votes
7. Re: double cab 4x4 with two roof top tents - how much space?
Save

Great. I'm feeling much reassured about supermarkets now. My three hungry men will not starve or have to live on pasta alone. Nor will we freeze as our extra bedding will fit in.

And I see you're a fellow west Irish traveller. My husband and kids are Irish - we live between Beara and London.

8 posts
8. Re: double cab 4x4 with two roof top tents - how much space?
Save

can i ask what company and route you are flying with? we are doing it next year and having trouble getting flights without long stay overs

8 posts
9. Re: double cab 4x4 with two roof top tents - how much space?
Save

we are having meals at some of the camp sites which offer this

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
7 helpful votes
10. Re: double cab 4x4 with two roof top tents - how much space?
Save

We’re flying BA London to J’burg. The a local Airlink flight to Windhoek. We’ve layover times of about 6 hours, rather long but safe just in case things are slow. Flights were booked separately.

Edited: 23 January 2023, 04:24
Reply to: double cab 4x4 with two roof top tents - how much space?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.