We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self drive camping

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Self drive camping

Hello, I am traveling in June-July with my 11 year old son through Nambia/Botswana to Vic falls self drive camping. We had a overland tour scheduled and canceled last minute. So we are having a go at self drive. My question is any information about camp sites would be great,Is it difacult to find them as you go During this time period?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,362 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self drive camping

Accommodation wise, self driving in Namibia (and probably or even more so in Botswana) is much different to doing it in the States. Distances are huge and accommodations are few. While June is not (yet) the high season, July is and having some stopovers booked in advance is almost essential. That surely is valid for National Parks run by NWR, Etosha specially.

Your best move would be to contact one of the local travel agents. Companies like Cardboard Box http://www.namibian.org/ or agents like Discover Namibia http://www.discover-namibia-safari.net/ will assist you best with all your needs, and if you are talking about this June/July, using them is almost imperative.

Since you have not gave us much more info about your planned itinerary, you might take some time and look at my two TR of recent (2014 and 2015) self-driving (no camping) tours of Namibia for a quick insight :

safaritalk.net/topic/…

safaritalk.net/topic/…

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
192 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self drive camping

If you don't reserve in advance, the probability is quite high that some of the more popular campsite will be fully booked. Take into account as well that Namibia is a large country with relatively few inhabitants : you might drive an hour without seeing another living soul and the nearest camping might be an hour's drive away... if you know where to find it. Taking all that into account, it seems wiser to me to decide upon itinerary in advance and to reserve at least part of the camp sites.

A good website for finding camp sites is : www.britz.co.za/8.CampsiteSearch.htm…

Also the website www.namibian.org is very useful for finding more information.

Have a great holiday !

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
3. Re: Self drive camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 December 2016, 04:47
Edited: 14 December 2016, 04:47
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
63 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self drive camping

The above posters are wise in their council: some advance preparation will be in your best interest. We just returned from a March/April self-drive through Namibia, Botswana, and up to Vic. Falls. Even though we went during the green/wet/lower season, we booked in advance. If you are using a rental agency, you might inquire if they can help you with your itinerary and bookings. Our company (Bushlore) was very helpful. They provided me with several of their recommended tour itinerary's. While none of them worked for our wants and timeline, they none the less provided excellent info. and baseline ideas so that I was able to then customize my own itinerary. Once having done that, I gave it back to the company and asked their suggestions on how reasonable my ideas were. They were generous in providing feedback. And then once we had a final itinerary, they booked the campsites for us, at no extra cost. (They get a cut from most camps/lodges for making a booking, so they seem happy to do it for you).

While you don't mention your timeline or preferred routes, I'll show you what we did to give you an idea:

Lodg e - Area Park and Type of Accomodation

Gobabis - Kalhari Bush Breaks Luxury Campsite - Self catering

Lake Ngami Free Camp

Nxai Pan - South Camp Campsite - Self-catering

Nxai Pan - Baines Baobab Campsite - Self-catering

Maun - Audi Tented Camp En-Suite bedded tents - Self catering

Moremi - Third Bridge Campsite - Self-catering

Moremi - Third Bridge Campsite - Self-catering

Moremi- Khwai Northgate Campsite - Self-catering

Chobe NP - Savuti Campsite - Self-catering

Chobe NP - Savuti Campsite - Self-catering

Chobe NP - Ihaha Campsite - Self-catering

Chobe NP - Ihaha Campsite - Self-catering

Livignstone- Victoria Falls - Bush Front Lodge Family Room - B&B

Livignstone- Victoria Falls - Bush Front Lodge Family Room - B&B

Kasane - Chobe Safari Lodge Campsite - Self-catering

Camp Kwando Campsite - Self-catering

Okovango Delta -Ngepi Campsite - Self-catering

Roy's Rest Camp 4 Bed Bungalow - B&B

Etosha - Namutoni Camp Campsite - Self-catering

Etosha - Okakejou Camp Campsite - Self-catering

Etosha - Okakejou Camp Campsite - Self-catering

Waterberg plateau Park Campsite - Self-catering

Waterberg plateau Park Campsite - Self-catering

Daan Viljoen Campsite, Swapkomund

Atle Brucke Resort

Sesriem Desert Camp

Sesriem Desert Camp

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Gobabis
Gobabis
Omaheke Region, Namibia
Chobe National Park
Chobe National Park
North-West District, Botswana
Ihaha Campsite
Ihaha Campsite
41 Reviews
Chobe National Park, Botswana
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
Matabeleland North Province, Zimbabwe
Camp Kwando
Camp Kwando
247 Reviews
Kongola, Namibia
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Namutoni Camp
Namutoni Camp
573 Reviews
Etosha National Park, Namibia
Desert Camp
Desert Camp
479 Reviews
Sossusvlei, Namibia
5. Re: Self drive camping

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 May 2016, 05:35
6. Re: Self drive camping

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2017, 12:17