We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Namibia-Ethosha National Park

Brielle, New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Namibia-Ethosha National Park

Any suggestions about places to say along our way to this park from Windehok airport?

We heard it is a long drive, and we should plan to stay somewhere along the way.

Any ideas for us? Traveling in early June 2016.

Thanks

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,521 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Namibia-Ethosha National Park

It takes maybe six hours from Windhoek airport to Anderson's Gate into Etosha. Depending on the time of your inbound flight from Capetown and how quickly the Hire company hand over the camper AND you check it carefully you can make it up there in time to not need a night stop anywhere. However if your flight gets in after say midday you should stop in the way up at a designated camp.

Spend two/three nights in Etosha and return down to Windhoek.

Mentioned in this post
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Namibia-Ethosha National Park

Hi LC!

You have a few options.

1) Stay the first night in Windhoek, relax, have a big dinner at Joe's Beer House and head out fresh to Etosha in the morning.

This is highly recommended if you arrive in the afternoon.

2) If you arrive mid-day, you might work your way up to somewhere, near/towards Etosha and stay there for the night. You don't say if you're approaching Etosha from the East or the Southwest. For example, Frans Indongo is quite nice and is less than 4 hours north:

https://goo.gl/maps/vV8udmjn4wE2

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g974183-d118189…

3) If you arrive early morning, then consider driving on up to an Etosha point. On the East gate we like staying at Etosha Aoba, and in the southwest we liked Okaukuejo.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g424916-d634603…

If you're planning on June then please do nail down your reservations now. We booked in January for September and a number of places we wanted to stay were booked up.

We did all of our planning and reservations through Cardboardbox (Norelle), and they were *fabulous*!!!

http://www.namibian.org/

-Karl

Edited: 07 March 2016, 12:35
Mentioned in this post
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Joe's Beerhouse
Joe's Beerhouse
3,512 Reviews
Windhoek, Namibia
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Namibia-Ethosha National Park

Depending on what time your flight arrives into Windhoek. I would recommend breaking up your journey by stay at Okonjima http://www.okonjima.com/ . It took us just over three hours to get there from the airport. We stayed in the Bush Camp and were blown away by the wildlife that came to feed outside our chalet/tent. Be warned though; they are very early risers! And you would have the opportunity of seeing cheetahs and leopards at the Africat Foundation. Worth staying two nights if you can.

We also stayed at Frans Indongo on our way back to the airport the first time we went to Namibia but it felt too busy for me as groups stay there and it had a motel feel. Might be a good option if you had budget constraints though.

Mentioned in this post
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Concord, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Namibia-Ethosha National Park

Worth noting that the road between Windhoek and Ethosha is excellent - paved the entire distance.

Mentioned in this post
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Brielle, New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Namibia-Ethosha National Park

Thank you. My son and I are renting a camper van and planning a trip to Ethosha Park.

WE may prefer to not camp a night, but stay at a lodge. Is this easy enough to find without a reservation?

Any suggestions for camper van sites within the park?

Lori

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,521 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Namibia-Ethosha National Park

Within Etosha there are only NWR Resorts, Okaukuejo, Halali and Namutoni plus a campers only site at Olifantsrus in the western zone. Reservation is recommended.

Early June should be ok without a reservation outside the park on the way north but some of the best are quite a distance from others so you risk being turned away late in the evening and facing another long drive.

Mentioned in this post
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
63 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Namibia-Ethosha National Park

I highly recommend Roy's Rest Camp as a great place to overnight when travelling from Windhoek to Etosha. You can camp with your camper, or treat yourself to a room (as we did as a treat after many nights of camping.). Good value, nice people, nice pool, and a good cook in their restaurant.

http://www.roysrestcamp.com

Mentioned in this post
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,521 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Namibia-Ethosha National Park

Much as I like Roy's it is a bit off track for a drive from Windhoek to Etosha even if using the Von Lindquist Gate..

Mentioned in this post
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park
Oshikoto Region, Namibia
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
63 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Namibia-Ethosha National Park

You are correct Mfuwe. I confused my recollection of itinerary. We came from the east (Rundu) the night we visited Roy's;. Sorry for having created confusion!

Brielle, New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Namibia-Ethosha National Park

We are having difficulty finding a camper van or motor home for our trip to Namibia, end of May for a week.

Any suggestions? Bobo campers is full. Many others will not even respond to my email.

If I can't find a camper, can someone recommend a car rental company?

As our trip is approaching, I am getting nervous about this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lori

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Get answers to your questions about Windhoek