We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stray dogs

1 post
Stray dogs
Save

Hi,

I will be travelling to Katmandu and then travelling around Nepal on my own.

I was attacked by dogs in Nicaragua so I’m a little bit nervous about the stray dogs here as they seem to be quite aggressive. Is this true and can you avoid getting circled and attacked easily?

Any help would be wonderful thank you.

8 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
18,952 posts
464 reviews
482 helpful votes
1. Re: Stray dogs
Save

No, not an issue.

In my experience not an issue in any country. The dangerous dogs are sheep dogs and farm dogs, but not in Nepal

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
5,329 posts
126 reviews
63 helpful votes
2. Re: Stray dogs
Save

Seen many dogs in Nepal. Never seen an aggressive one or pack. Many very friendly. But they do like to bark at night....

I have seen aggressive packs of dogs in Thailand.

Aggressive or friendly, we avoid contact due to existence of Rabies.

OG Australia
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
6 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: Stray dogs
Save

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293889-i9243-k11976811-Stray_dogs_in_Nepal-Nepal.html

In general fine but……do read the above!

Edited: 24 January 2023, 05:54
Level Contributor
58 posts
4. Re: Stray dogs
Save

If you don't provoke them they will keep to themselves. Some dogs are even friendly and you can even pet them but because of hygiene issues, don't.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
18,952 posts
464 reviews
482 helpful votes
5. Re: Stray dogs
Save

That's the main issue with stray dogs for hikers, they will befriend you and follow you forever, believe me, it happened to me countless time, even for more than one day and even through I didn't feed them.

Andorra la Vella...
Level Contributor
475 posts
984 reviews
6,435 helpful votes
6. Re: Stray dogs
Save

Having had your experience before I completely understand your concerns . In Nepal though I really don’t think you are going to have a problem the dogs seem fairly tame and the only issue I have had is being followed on a trail for hours by dogs who just seem to want a travelling companion…yes I did feed them …..I am a bad person …… Trekking though you had one have to be aware of the donkeys and yaks whether grazing or load carrying ………….maybe I shouldn’t have mentioned that …

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
143 reviews
252 helpful votes
7. Re: Stray dogs
Save

The 'Kampung' (village) flea-bitten, dogs in places Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand are completely different to Nepalese dogs. Those dogs (Malaysia/Thai/Indo) are very aggressive and loud - but I've never actually been bitten. The Nepalese dogs I've encountered trekking just seem to be very healthy, friendly dogs in comparison - many just befriend and follow you for kilometres. (Note: I've had the rabies shots anyways...)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
143 reviews
252 helpful votes
8. Re: Stray dogs
Save

#5 We had a very friendly, healthy dog follow us all the way from Gokyo over the RenjoLa and almost to Lungden before it turned back last Nov!

Reply to: Stray dogs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.