We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taipei Weather

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Taipei Weather

Plan to travel Taipei this September. Is it raining season?

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
889 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Taipei Weather

Ok I just went through all the data from my weather station and here is what I found.

September averages low 30s and high 20's

October averages high 20's

November averages low 20's

December averages mid to high teens and low 20's as the month goes on it gets cooler. This data is from last year. I did not check previous years.

Keep in mind though that we can get typhoons through December and starting from October they start to get stronger if one does come through. But I think you don't really need to worry about this so much, at most you will lose 2 days. People are still working usually even if there is a typhoon, if the gov't annouces a typhoon day some people still work, but most do not, but major services and 7-11s will still be opened.

But note I have been able to wear shorts here any time of year when the temps get over like 24. If you are coming from Singapore though you may feel cold as we do have high humidity here and as the year goes on it starts feeling quite cold in Dec/Jan/Feb. Winter Jacket time for the locals during some storm fronts, but those usually last no more than 2 weeks. and then it warms back up into the high teens and 20s again for a few days or weeks and then gets cold again. It does not stay cold during the winter.

Rain can occur any month of the year at any time, though the most rainy seasons are during CNY and March through May is unpredictable because some years it pours all day for days on end, and then some years it doesn't rain at all. Starting in June we get afternoon thunderstorms, this year that started in April or May, and hasn't ended yet. We are still getting thunderstorms, but recently with less thunder and more just really heavy downpours for an hour or two. September and October and November just depend, some years it is hot without rain, and some years we get like we have now, sporatic rain storms any time of day or night. Like last night for example, it rained from about 1-3am, very heavy rain, and this morning it was nice, sorry it is really hard to predict. Taipei is cloudy about 200-250 days a year or more on average. There are two typhoons around Taiwan right now so the weather is a bit unstable. Unless you are planning to go hiking you probably do not need to be too concerned about the rainy weather. If you are venturing into mountainous areas then you will have to pay close attention to the weather because of flash flooding and mud slides. If you are in cities for the most part shopping and whatever, then you need an umbrella, and don't wear expensive shoes as I stated earlier. I am not sure how much more I can comment on this. Recently it has rained everyday for at least 10 minutes and that rain has come at any time, there has not been a predicible period this year.

If in Taipei only you need an umbrella and wear normal shoes or sandals that can handle water...

Hope this is helpful.

Edited: 27 August 2012, 13:36
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Taipei Weather

thanks for all your info, its really helpful.

Kuala Lumpur...
14 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Taipei Weather

Hi how about 6-13nov?

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
889 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Taipei Weather

Joey83, please read my last post above, I think it is fairly detailed to answer your question...

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Taipei Weather

Hello! Thanks for telling so much about the weather. But shopping wise? Is it a good time to go shopping in nov? Would they be selling any summer wear? Or winter wear? This is gonna be my first time to taipei.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
889 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Taipei Weather

Ade C, as for shopping this is a difficult question for me to answer. I'm a guy, I don't buy clothing every year. haha. I do not think much summer clothing will be available. Winter clothing yes, but Taiwan is subtropical so sometimes they have a mix. I think in Singapore you don't wear heavier things as it's too hot all year long. If you are looking for summer only clothing of course the best time to shop for that would be starting probably in April to around July or August. I am not a fashion guru, so I can't really accurately answer that question. I suggest you post another question in the forums specifically asking that question, I wish I could give you better advice about that, but I can't.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
889 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Taipei Weather

Just a note, for anyone comming this week. Taipei is seeing extreme temperature change, I am not sure about other areas, you need to check. http://www.cwb.gov.tw. Right now it is about 23C in Taipei at 12:30am (early morning). This will continue during the evening and early morning hours until Thursday. Friday and on will warm up. The day time temps will be around 24-29 M-Thurs this week. This cooler weather is very comfortable for us, but not sure for any of you coming from S. E. Asia. Check the website above before coming, site is in both Chinese and English.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Taipei Weather

Hi

Thanks for the helpful info.

I will be going there on 24 Sep.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
889 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Taipei Weather

Check the website above before you leave. www.cwb.gov.tw I think that week might be hotter, but things change.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Taipei Weather

Hi

Thanks for you valuable info again.