We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enough time to catch flight to Chiang Mai in Bangkok?

New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Enough time to catch flight to Chiang Mai in Bangkok?

Hi all! I will be arriving in Bangkok at the Suvarnabhumi Airport on October 10, 2017 with EVA Air at 11:10AM. I am looking to book a flight going directly to Chiang Mai and the earliest flight is with Bangkok Airways leaves at 12:30PM. The next flight after that leaves at 14:35.

My question is, is that enough time to get my luggage and everything or would it be safer to book the 14:35 flight?

Is Bangkok Airways good? Or is there another airline I should look into for flying to Chiang Mai?

Should I book the flight now or wait until I'm arrived at the airport? I like having things booked in advance in case things get filled up because right now the 14:35 flight has 3 seats left. Thank you everyone in advance!

34 replies to this topic
Den Haag
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Enough time to catch flight to Chiang Mai in Bangkok?

You have to check in at 12:00 so you have less than 1 hr to pass customs and get your bags. You probably wont make it unless you land on time and have no queues ... very unlikely at Bkk airport.

Bangkok airways is good, the LCC carriers are cheaper but they fly from DMK airport. Book now if you want cheap.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
6,225 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enough time to catch flight to Chiang Mai in Bangkok?

When arriving at BKK , it will take about one hour to clear Immigration . So you will not have time to catch the 12.30 Flight.

I fly BKK-CNX a few times a year. Bangkok Air would be my first choice Followed by Thai. Next month I will fly on Thai Smile.

I would book now.

Chok Dee

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,503 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Enough time to catch flight to Chiang Mai in Bangkok?

I would book the 2.45pm flight. Only 3 seats left I would do it straight away.

New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Enough time to catch flight to Chiang Mai in Bangkok?

Thank you! I forgot about the whole needing plenty of time to check in, getting bags, customs, etc haha.

New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Enough time to catch flight to Chiang Mai in Bangkok?

Thank you! It seems many of the airlines are decent to fly with but also seems like people do prefer Bangkok Air when possible.

New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Enough time to catch flight to Chiang Mai in Bangkok?

Oddly enough when I JUST checked the flights on Bangkok Air's website, there is no longer the alert that there's only 3 seats left. So weird because it was showing that alert all day today until now.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
6,225 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Enough time to catch flight to Chiang Mai in Bangkok?

Customs is a walk through unless you have something to declare or a random stop.It is immigration you pass thru.

The alert for seats is not weird ...like all airlines they play a few games .

Chok Dee

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Enough time to catch flight to Chiang Mai in Bangkok?

Unlike US carriers where you book & pay immediately, airlines in Thailand allow you to book a seat and then pay later at an ATM or a service counter. Unpaid for seats are released after a period of time, so could be one reason for the change in availability.

Airlines also change the number of seats available at a specific airfare depending on how well a flight is selling, so the number of seats available at a fare could change without notice.

Groups and large tour operators often book a block of seats and then release unsold seats back to the airline.

There are lots of reasons for changes in availability other than marketing conspiracies 😋

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Enough time to catch flight to Chiang Mai in Bangkok?

Hi, I too am wondering about enough time between flights. ( Thai Airways). We arrive in Bangkok at 4.20pm from Sydney and need to connect with a flight to Chiang Mai at 5.20pm. Only one hour seems crazy to me !!

Our travel agent booked for us and seems to think we'll have no problem. But I'm very sceptical , as apparently we have to collect our luggage then check into the domestic desk.

This is our first time to Thailand and we have only ever travelled to Bali. So we are definitely not experienced travellers...

So what do TA members think as we are unable to change our flights.

Thanks

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Enough time to catch flight to Chiang Mai in Bangkok?

If it is a single ticket, all on Thai Airways, your bags will be checked through to Chiang Mai and you only need clear Immigration in Bangkok, then head straight to the departure area. But even this is tight, especially if there are any delays leaving Sydney.

Reply to: Enough time to catch flight to Chiang Mai in Bangkok?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted