We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I wanted to stay at Shanghai Mansion

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
20 reviews
I wanted to stay at Shanghai Mansion

It's been a long time since I was last in Bangkok. Other things got in the way unfortunately. But now, I'm ready to create another great trip, starting mid October or 1st of November, and Bangkok is my first destination. There are many places in and out of Bangkok that I have sourced online, that I want to explore.

Shanghai Mansion is one of the places I really wanted to stay for 2-3 days, but when I looked at the nightly cost, it has gone up a LOT! When I checked the amount for November, I think it was about $200-$250 a night, and that is way more than my budget will stretch. Disappointing... I know how lovely the interior of it is, and really wanted to stay there.

My trip will be a long one, including Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Laos, with perhaps another country as well... I'm hoping to pay $100 per night or a bit more, during my trip; and I know November is going into the more expensive season.

Any ideas on other places in that area that would be good to stay on Yaowarot Rd? I know that that area would be quite fun and exciting for me to explore, during the day and also an experience in the evenings, with all the sights and smells and colored lanterns... I have done some research on these areas.

I also plan to spend time exploring the old parts of Bangkok, the architecture, the people, the different kinds of cooking that I'll be tasting for the first time! Bangkok is a place I've long wanted to have the time to really explore the history of it in real time.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 06:02
11 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: I wanted to stay at Shanghai Mansion

Direct booking with Shanghai Mansions shows Superior Rooms at 3200 baht inclusive of taxes or Cad $130 during November. Not sure if that helps. Enjoy, sounds like a good trip. Tempted to stay at Shanghai Mansions on our next visit.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
4,997 posts
842 reviews
2. Re: I wanted to stay at Shanghai Mansion

Sawasdee,

I searched hotels on Yaowarat road on Agoda.com.

Shanghai Mansion costs 2,801 Baht a night on Agoda.com.

Grand China Hotel costs 2,561 Baht a night on Agoda.com.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: I wanted to stay at Shanghai Mansion

archtertf - I see from your post that Shanghai Mansion has a rate of $130 Canadian with "Direct Booking"and Superior Room at 3200 baht inclusive of taxes in November. I would be okay with that rate. How do I arrange "Direct Booking"?

BangkokSachse - I see that you searched on Yaowarot Rd on Agoda.com. When I clicked on "Shanghai Mansion" in your post, for the cost of 2,801 baht a night, there was no "Agoda.com" price available; the only prices were as follows:

Booking.com -- $146 a night

Expedia - $182 a night

Trip Advisor - $146

Priceline = $178

So... I don't get that. Not your fault but something is wrong with those prices, and Agoda not available...

I appreciate both your posts. I'll see if I can get more info by dealing with Agoda. Perhaps they will be easier to deal with, and have decent prices.

Thank you.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3,127 posts
211 reviews
4. Re: I wanted to stay at Shanghai Mansion

Hi skeezix, I like to use TA here as a comparison site and compare this with the hotel website price. Ie go to Shanghai Mansion here on TA put in your dates and it will show the rates for all hotel booking sites including agoda.

Hope that helps.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 09:58
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
36 reviews
5. Re: I wanted to stay at Shanghai Mansion

Suggest you follow the directions on their website https://www.shanghaimansion.com Another option might be to email them directly on inquiry@shanghaimansion.com They have a lowest price guarantee if you book direct with them.I have always preferred to book all our hotel stays this way as emailing the hotel allows you to not only book, but you can also discuss any preferences etc regarding your booking and stay. There is often also a little more flexibility if you need to change dates etc as most of the hotels I have dealt with are happy to help. I don't have much experience with booking sites but have the impression a lot of bookings need payment up front and can be difficult to alter or cancel. It's a personal choice. Btw I have no personal experience with Shanghai Mansion but expect my comments would apply to them as well. Best of luck.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: I wanted to stay at Shanghai Mansion

I paid $50 a night this time last year at The Grand China. This year it is $100.

Shanghai Mansion doesn't seem to get much under $100 now either.

Places I have stayed are Chinatown Hotel. Around $50 a night. Hard beds and old everything. It is directly opposite Shanghai Mansion.

Grand China of course but way too expensive for what you get. It is old but better the Chinatown Hotel of course

A little gem but hit and miss sometimes is Check Inn. On Agoda it is around $35 a night. I wouldn't pay anymore then that. It has a small kitchen in each room if you want to heat anything up. I just find sometimes it gets very noisy. Also some rooms have no windows . I just ask now for a window room. It is also down a lane way and sometimes hard to find. I find Tuk Tuks know it better then taxis.

There is also The Royal hotel just down from Shanghai . It is fairly new . I've only had a look at their pool and it seems quite nice. Rooms without windows also.

There is also the Miramar Hotel a way down further. We have booked there to stay in June. Fingers crossed it is ok :)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: I wanted to stay at Shanghai Mansion

Beezely, Archter and Mrs_Smith... Thank you all for your information and suggestions. It's been about 4 or 5 years since I have travelled (hard to believe), and so now I'm seeing things that are different from previous trips.

I will look into all that you have suggested, and I very much appreciate your help.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
80 reviews
8. Re: I wanted to stay at Shanghai Mansion

Here you can find some other ideas as well for Chinatown:

https:/…

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,375 posts
33 reviews
9. Re: I wanted to stay at Shanghai Mansion

It’s a little bit too early to nail down bookings for November. Discounted room contingents are released about 3 months in advance. So keep checking until late July/early August.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3,127 posts
211 reviews
10. Re: I wanted to stay at Shanghai Mansion

I also find when I check out hotel prices here on TA that I start getting emails every few days advising 'we have found a cheaper price'. I've got some really good rates for a particular hotel just by waiting and checking those emails. This depends of course on your email preferences settings for the site.

Reply to: I wanted to stay at Shanghai Mansion
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted