We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice for Tiger Temple visit

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice for Tiger Temple visit

Hi guys,

i've booked a trip to Thailand in August 2013 & I will be in bangkok for 3D's/2N's.

I'm really looking forward to squeezing in a half day visit to the tiger temple in Kanchanaburi (Sai Yok).

Your response to questions below would be much appreaciated

1) What is the fastest mode of transport to the tiger temple ? Cab/Train ?

2) How long does it take to get to the tiger temple from bangkok ?

3) Is it better to pre-book a tour before landing in Thailand or easy enough to take a Cab/Train to the temple ?

4) I've seen half day tours online for approximately THB 7000 per person. Seems quiet steep. What's the best price for a half-day tour ?

5) Any other recommended stops in the return trip to Bangkok ?

Thanks in advance,

Vishaal

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice for Tiger Temple visit

Hey Vish!

We really enjoyed a tour with "Tour with Tong" to tiger temple - we did the mornign VIP tour it started with a pick up at 5am!

1. Unsure - we went by car its about an hour and a half away form Bangkok CBD (depending on the time you travel)

2. as above..

3. We pre-booked a tour as i think you might need to do a tour for the morning program - but im not 100%

4. We did the tour with Tong for 5000 baht per person - its a bit high but we enjoy yourselves, we were driven in a priavte car and had lunch paid for.

Hope this helps :)

Regards

Sam

http://www.travellingking.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice for Tiger Temple visit

Hi Vish, why not change your plans and spend a night or 2 in Kanchananbury? It is a great place to spend a couple of days, has several good places to stay that can suit any budget, and then you can book the tour locally, which is going to cost you much less then 5000 per person. Bus to Kanchananbury takes 3 hours from Bangkok and is cheap, taxi takes about 2 hours and is also not that expensive.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice for Tiger Temple visit

Hi Vish

just got back from there did tiger temple with tours with tong had kung as our guide, you might think the price is abit high but what expereince it is. we done the morning program you get to have breakfast with the monks-hand fed tiger cubs-walk them back-wash them then best thing you will ever do go into the big enclosure with nine loose nearly full size tigers, they have handlers in there with you where you get to interact with them words couldnt describe it then walk them and watch them play. it is well worth the money for it if you do the afternoon program you dont get to do some off the things and it not that much cheaper but you miss out on alot.kung our guide got us in the front of the line and the best places to be with the tigers. they pick you up in private car. also there are a lots less people in the morning program, when we done it there were only 17 people.what a great day

cheers

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3,039 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice for Tiger Temple visit

Have a look at Day 3 of my JBR, might be helpful to you.

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k5699…

Just do it yourself (no big deal) and save a lot of $$. If you have any Q, do write here or send me a message.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice for Tiger Temple visit

Hi Samatha & Kevin,

Thanks for your posts and your advice on transport, timing, tour guide and costs. Good to get some confidence about “Tour with Tong” and their guide Kung.

Cheers guys

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice for Tiger Temple visit

Hi Tim,

We’re in Bangkok for 3 days and I’m travelling with 7 other (including 5 shopaholic women). As much as I’d like to indulge in culture , history & scenery, reducing my stay in Bangkok mean robbing the ladies off their shopping time…. Pretty risky ..that move mate ! haha

Thanks for the suggestion

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice for Tiger Temple visit

Hi Sanjeev,

As I posted on your link. Fantastic review. Thanks for sharing.

I'm really considering a self-tour of the tiger temple now that you have painted a clear picture of the potential cost savings. However, I need to test if my family's adventurous enough to go ahead with this :)

I’ll send you a mail soon. Would be great if you could reply pls.

Cheers, Vishaal

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice for Tiger Temple visit

Hi

If you do it yourself you may miss out on the best bits.kung got us to front of the lines for things and knows the all people at tiger temple so she knows where to be in the right place at the right time. I know it may seem abit dear but it is will worth it and going with them you don't have to worry about anything e.g getting there and back and the morning VIP tour has alot less people,they said sometimes there can be 200 or 300 people for the afternoon tour as we only had 17 for the morning and the tigers are alot may activate in the morning and it is cooler

Cheers

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,862 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advice for Tiger Temple visit

We too used Tong for our trip to the Tiger Temple. Collected us from the hotel around 7am, stopped off at the railway market, we then did the floating market before arriving at the tiger temple. Tong does get you to the front of the queue. We booked several months in advance as we knew she was always very busy.

It's a long day but well worth it.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need advice for Tiger Temple visit

I personally would not go to Tiger Temple if I were you. The temple obtains their animals from poachers and has been dealing in the black market trade for tigers. This is one of the reasons why tigers are very rare in the wild - there are only about 3,500 left because of poaching.

Even worse, the tigers are not treated well. While they would have large territories if left in the wild, tigers at the temple are actually confined for 20 hours a day in small cages, measuring 31.5m2 to 37.3m2. This falls far short of the published minimum of 500m2 for a pair or a mother and her cubs. Apart from their totally inadequate size, the cages contain nothing for the tigers to play with. As a result, many of them become mentally ill and harm themselves.

During the three-hour long tourist sessions, the tigers were given no shade, and were exposed to three hours of direct sunlight in temperatures which often rose above 40°C. The tigers are badly maltreated to make them compliant and perform for visitors, for example, it was observed that Temple staff would drag tigers into appealing poses by pulling their tails or punching and beating the animals. Staff also controlled the tigers by squiring tiger urine from a bottle into the animal’s face, an act of extreme aggression in tiger behaviour.

As a result, of their poor conditions and improper handling, Temple tigers were identified to be suffering with a catalogue of behavioural and physical problems. Several of the animals were observed to demonstrate stereotypic behaviour, such as pacing and obsessive chewing of their paws. Other animals were visibly suffering from lameness and skeletal deformities. The tigers were also observed to be suffering from malnutrition and poor veterinary care.

It is also not safe for you to visit. There are numerous well-documented and even fatal attacks on humans by ‘trained’ and apparently mild-mannered captive wild cats, including during photo sessions. However, Temple staff failed to prevent direct contact even when the tigers are aggressive.

At the Temple, hundreds of visitors, some of them young children, are actively encouraged to make close physical contact with tigers during daily photo sessions. Staff were unprepared and ill-equipped to deal with potential emergencies. The Tiger Temple explicitly renounces any responsibility for injuries or damage, by asking visitors to sign a disclaimer at the entrance.

If you truly love animals, you will not encourage their poaching and abuse by patronizing such a place.