We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phi Phi Island vs Phang Nga Bay

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Phi Phi Island vs Phang Nga Bay

Hello everyone,

I am traveling to Phuket in the 1st week of Aug with my family.

As we are only there for 4 days with 1st day and last day being a half day, I am considering whether we should go for both Phi Phi Island trip for 1 day and Phang Nga Bay on the other day.

My siblings are into snorkeling but I read in some posts that Aug period, the sea is too rough for snorkeling.

My parents do not snorkel, is Phang Nga Bay a more suitable itinerary for them?

Any advice?

Thank you!

Bowral, Australia
Level Contributor
196 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phi Phi Island vs Phang Nga Bay

definitely no snorkelling in phang nga but still beautiful scenary. You will still be able to snorkel in Phi Phi, provided the weather plays along and your tour departs (often they dont due to rough water).

Given you dont have long I would be more inclined to do Phang Nga Bay as you are more than likely to actually get there. Check out some of the tour providers on here, would suggest Phuket Sail Tours..

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phi Phi Island vs Phang Nga Bay

Hi Krissylou,

Thanks for the advice! =)

Did some more research and contemplating Coral Island as an alternative to Phi Phi for snorkeling.

Seems like there are so many to do.. sigh.. wish we could stay for more days.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phi Phi Island vs Phang Nga Bay

Agree with Krisslou for a day tour Phang Nga is a better choice in August, the waters are a lot calmer and the scenery is amazing, sometimes the sea conditions are too rough for Phi Phi in low season and as you only have a short time in Phuket there is no guarantee that you will get the tour on the day you want (weather permitting?)

doing both tours back to back would be too much in your short time so i would do Phang Nga and then a closer island like Coral or Bon island for a shorter day tour on the other day

we done the hongs and caves tour on the sail boat with Phuket Sail Tours and it was the best day/sea tour we have done and highly recommend doing that one :-) but there is also a nice speedboat tour to Phang Nga too www.phuketsailtours.com

Coral Island is a nice day tour and very close to Phuket only 30 min speed boat from Chalong Pier, cost us 1000bhat p/p for the day including transfers to and from hotel, speedboat, lunch, beach chairs and snorkeling gear, not much to see in coral but lots of lovely little fish www.jctour-phuket.com

also a day to Bon Island is good for snorkeling and beach time, only 15 min off Rawai foreshore by longtail boat, and there is a lovely restaurant there for lunch, being on the east side of Phuket the waters are more sheltered and calmer than on the west side

www.bonislandphuket.wordpress.com

it's a shame you have such a short time :-( you will have to return as there is soooo much more to do and see

happy planning :-)

Edited: 23 June 2011, 09:44
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phi Phi Island vs Phang Nga Bay

Thank you so much for your advice! =)

california
Level Contributor
50 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phi Phi Island vs Phang Nga Bay

question for everyone, we are headed to phuket end of april, plan to do the John Gray Hongs by Starlight one evening...torn between speed boat to Phi Phi or speed boat to Phang Nga Bay...we love photography and beautiful sights...knowing we only have two FULL days, what is the best option and top recommendation on which tour group to use. read a lot about phuketsailtours and also Panya with ppkkservice.com

thanks for anything you are able to share! cathy california

Phuket
Level Contributor
868 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phi Phi Island vs Phang Nga Bay

@ 5ylv1a - don't bother with an organised tour to Coral Island. I think you're much better off following mossy's advice and going independently by longtail to Bon Island. It's closer than Coral Island and that way, you can check the weather before you commit to going.

gocathyl - the Hongs by Startlight tour is basically the Phang Nga Bay tour but with a late departure so the other daytrip boats are returning to Phuket as you are arriving. So the logical thing to do on your second day is the speedboat to Phi Phi. Pay the extra and go with one of the best operators for the best day: Phuket Sail Tours, Prestige Divers, Offspray or Simba. Prestige and Offspray are also dive boats so you're guaranteed to go to the best snorkelling spots. Hope this helps.

Phuket Thailand
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phi Phi Island vs Phang Nga Bay

Hello 5ylv1a. It is possible to snorkel in Phang Nga Bay, but you have to find an operator that will take you there from Phuket, as it is on the Krabi (far) side of the Bay. The snorkeling is fun but not quite as good as Phi Phi, but at that time of year it is a safer bet, given you only have a couple of days. Plenty of fish to feed.

If you go on a tour of Phang Nga Bay it is also worth doing the canoeing, visiting the village on stilts (Kho Panyi) and exploring the hidden lagoons (hongs).

If snorkeling is your priority then Phi Phi and Racha Islands are good, but if the weather is bad the day may be wasted.

As Rachel said, John Gray's tour is also in Phang Nga Bay, and is certainly a good tour.

Good luck,

Mark.

Phuket Sail Tours.

100 Mile House...
Level Contributor
336 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phi Phi Island vs Phang Nga Bay

gocathyl

If you're doing the John Gray "Hong by Starlight" tour, you don't want to do another trip to Phang Nga. You'll be doing the same thing. Take the PST speedboat trip to the Phi Phi Islands.

BTW, we did both of those tours in February, and both were terrific

9. Re: Phi Phi Island vs Phang Nga Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2013, 17:21