We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice about iPhone use in Phuket

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advice about iPhone use in Phuket

Following an £800 bill whilst holidaying in Majorca, I haven't taken a phone with me on holiday since. However, I would like to be able to use the internet when needed in phuket without having to go to an cafe. I have a spare older UK iphone, is it possible to buy a sim which lasts for just a month with unlimited internet use only in Phuket ? I am not an expert with phones and have very limited knowlege:-) 36 day till we arrive !!!! Cheers

London, United...
Level Contributor
533 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice about iPhone use in Phuket

There's a long thread here about it -

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293915-i3686-k3…

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice about iPhone use in Phuket

Thank you :-)

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice about iPhone use in Phuket

Hi, the most basic is do not enable data roaming,but use WiFi ...many hotels provide free WiFi these days, but make sure it requires WEPkey.

your older phone--is it unlocked? Similarly, is your iPhone unlocked?

if it is, just get a prepaid SIM-also available in microSIM.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice about iPhone use in Phuket

Yes agree with Mk, TURN OFF data roaming and always LOG OFF after checking facebook and other sites, I had a nasty surprise once when I got home, seems my iphone just kept on staying connected and the bill was huge. I also switch mine off when not in use, and now I have a thai sim card in another phone to call home and receive and send texts, much easier and cheaper. Sue

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice about iPhone use in Phuket

Hi, I don't know if it is unlocked, I have always been with O2 and when I was due an upgrade they gave me a new one for free... Does that mean it's tied to O2 ? I am sorry but Ia mj no whizz with phones....

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice about iPhone use in Phuket

when are you travelling? were going for the first time on wens and are planning on using our iphone in free wfi areas and got a cheap unlocked phone to put a simcard into for calls and texts! I hope it works! I'll let you know how we get on cheers h

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice about iPhone use in Phuket

Hi sisnp, the easiest to know if your phone is locked to a carrier, say in your case, you are on O2 network, get a friend who is on other cellular network(say Vodafone, Tmobile,) and insert their SIM into your phone and if your phone locked to this network,then your phone is unlocked.

Of course, try to avoid those virtual network,e.g Tesco or giffgaff which piggy back on 02 network.

Otherwise,if your friend or you are concerned in doing such an action may erase SIM contact or his/her or yours contact automatically copied to your phone, then just buy cheapest prepaid SIm of another cellular operator.

You are so loyal to your operator.

Always shop around,because Everything Everywhere may not be always what it seems.

@hells10 will know about Everything Everywhere,as I know one of their main office is in Bristol. As advised, in areas where free WiFI is available, best are those requiring WEPkey. For those that you are going to text, if they have WhatsApp (i.e. a iPhone,Android device or even Nokia), then use the free WiFi,and more savings on your prepaid SIM. IF people are connected on their mobile device with Skype-better still or Line or Tango-then you find you need not need a prepaid SIM in your visiting holiday destination also.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice about iPhone use in Phuket

And one more thing..as late Jobs loves to say...put your iPhone into Airplane mode so it is not roaming searching for cellular network,then if an idiot telemarketers calls you, you will be charged.

When you put on Airplane mode, WiFi will auto off,but you can reactivate WiFi again.

Edited: 14 March 2012, 11:15
Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice about iPhone use in Phuket

Thanks for all your help :-)

10. Re: Advice about iPhone use in Phuket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 18:15