We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dalat

Plettenberg Bay...
Level Contributor
95 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Dalat

We are going to Vietnam and want to take a fairly leisurely tour of the south, furthest north Hue. We are not spring chickens any more, so not really bent on adventure tourism. Has anyone been to Dalat, and is it worth including in our itinerary. Also Nha Trang. We would like to spend a few days on one of the islands, but would like to avoid the more touristy ones. Any recommendations?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,557 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dalat

We enjoyed Da Lat, and would like to visit it again. Whether you would depends on your own preferences.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dalat

Da Lat is a pleasant place to cool down and some of the surrounding landscape is very nice.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dalat

I find Dalat charming and think it's worth 3 or more days if taken at a leisurely pace. The mountain climate is kinder than that on the coastal plains and there are many things to see and do in the town and surrounding countryside.

At certain times of year there can be very heavy rainfall in Hue/Hoi An (October to December) and Dalat (approximately late April to October), so try to plan your trip accordingly.

Edited: 21 January 2012, 22:09
London
Level Contributor
193 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dalat

It is a nice place to relax and take in the cool air, but not certain I would visit if on a short trip, because I'd rather spend longer at other places. Nha Trang is a place you either love or hate. Built up concrete jungle, but a nice beach. I enjoyed it, but then I've been on the road for 6 months and a place with not a lot of things to see or do apart from eating and drinking suited me.

Here is my blog post from my visit to Da Lat: http://zoqy.net/?p=10832

Richard

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,127 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dalat

Dalat is especially nice for seniors, Nha Trang is certainly not especially nice for seniors. Try Hoi An - you'll like it.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dalat

Hmm, daawgon, what defines a senior? I am 60 next Wednesday, and feel like 35....

Australia
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Dalat

Hi 1 marbill23.

We are in our mid 70s and was in Dalat 2 years ago and we abaolutely loved it. So much so that it will be on out itiinerary for our 5th trip to V/N in April. We also liked Nga Trang where we had wonderful food and payed a visit to an orphanage [ with some goodies of course ].

As Daawgon suggested, you would definately love Hoi An. It is a little bit touristy but it is so nice to just wander along the riverside in the evenings with its colourful lanterns and street performers, not to mention great restaurants with reasonably priced food.

Gander.

Plettenberg Bay...
Level Contributor
95 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dalat

Thanks for all these replies. To onoffresident - I avoided the use of the word 'senior' - too much baggage. We are just not spring chicken enough to enjoy hordes of jostling tourists, surfing or climbing steep hills. It's a comfortable place to be.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dalat

Quite so 1marbil - since I qualified as a 'senior' I've dumped all forms of aged-related political correctness and called myself an old trout, and some days a cantankerous old trout. Very satisfying.

Plettenberg Bay...
Level Contributor
95 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dalat

Thanks again. Can anyone tell which is the best market - floating preferably, or otherwise. Also preferably, on without hordes of toursts. And has anyhone done a river cruise on the Mekong? Which boat? Sorry, I am milking all the information I can get as we are really ignorant of the country and don't want to waste precious time. Hoi An and Hue are definitely on, as is HCMC. My Tho and Can Tho???