We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping easy riders?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
286 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping easy riders?

Just wondering how much tip for 3 day jeep tour please. Driver & guide

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping easy riders?

We spent 7 days, 7 nights with Dalat Easy Riders. I was concerned about meals and paying,as we were together all the time, so I said we would pay for all meals - cost only up to AUD30 per day. They provided all the extras, and they were so generous.

As Aus doesn't really have a tipping culture we were unsure, so we based it on our Chinese private tour that provided tipping directions - $10 for guide and $5 for driver per person per day.

I wouldn't tip if it doesn't go well, but Terry and Tuan were so wonderful, and we had so much fun - we gave a bit more.

DG

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping easy riders?

The going rate (from a Vietnam tour companies point of view) is 5 dollars pp per day for guide and half that for driver. More or less is up to you.

Owee

www.owee58.com

Hanoi
Level Contributor
236 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping easy riders?

Well, it depends on service you received and so that for general guide, it should be 10USD/day and half for driver. It can be more or less , as said above, depending on services!1 take care and all the best

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping easy riders?

DG, you were very generous paying for their meals as well as a daily tip of $10 per person for the guide. You say it was a 7 day tour, how many of you? How do I get you to come on tour with me? lol. Henritours also suggests this to be a suitable amount. I believe it to be way excessive and there is no 'should be' value placed on any tip. Many travel agencies advise against tipping, as do many on the TA forum, as it tends to lead to an expectation of receiving a tip for less than quality performance. Certainly, if you receive outstanding service, an appropriate tip may be suitable but please don't overdo things and make it hard for the next tourist.

Greg

Edited: 20 March 2012, 05:33
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping easy riders?

sgtwh

Don't worry, there was only me and DGP on the trip, and we sure were taken care of. Flowers and wine arrived at the hotel for DGP's birthday, lots of help translating when DGP got sick, a huge 40th wedding anniversary cake appeared in a restaurant. We learned lots, met amazing people, visited interesting sites and had a wonderful enriching time. They never tired of looking after us. The driver, who didn't speak English, even came on an elephant ride with me when no-one else would.

So, we tipped $100 guide and $50 driver + meals.

We also shared Dalat market goodies - dried fruits etc, as we tend to snack a lot. Most things they had never tasted before, I asked if their otrher tourists snack a lot like us, and they said always but they don't share with them. Well - I think that is plum mean. Anyway we loved the market so much we had seriously overbought, but gave it all away in HoiAn.

Happy to join you on a trip - but I will need the same service and care I got from my wonderful Easyriders - Terry and Tuan!!

DG

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping easy riders?

DG, it sounds like you had a great time with your guides, I expect they hope to see you again. Not quite the $10/person/day for the guide but I expect he was very happy. Is he now betrothed to one of your grandchildren? :-)

Greg

Adelaide S.A.
Level Contributor
933 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping easy riders?

I think tipping per person is way over the top. When travelling with my teenage kids there is no way I would give $60 out in tips for a family of 4 per day, and even when its only me and my husband I think $30 is still over the top. Just my 2 cents worth.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping easy riders?

Greg

One grandson - turned two last week.

Not quite the ten per day, but don't forget the meals!

We thought it was so worth it.

DG

9. Re: Tipping easy riders?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2013, 17:21