We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy Rider from nha Trang to Dalat (Cat tien NP)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Topic
Easy Rider from nha Trang to Dalat (Cat tien NP)

Hi

i will be in Nha trang in a couple of days and am thinking of getting a motorbike ride to Dalat. (Am thinking of going to Cat Tien NP to trek up there)

Thinking of then getting another motorbike ride from dalat to Mui Ne?

Has anyone done this trip? is it worth doing? how much should you pay for this?

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy Rider from nha Trang to Dalat (Cat tien NP)

Haven't done it but it would be a great tour. Will be easy to arrange when you get here through a decent travel agency or an easy rider. I can give you the details of a good easy rider and you can discuss it with him when you get here.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy Rider from nha Trang to Dalat (Cat tien NP)

Yes I done this trip a number of times. The drive to Dalat is spectacular and well worth doing on a motorcycle. The trip to Mui Ne is interesting but not quite as scenic. You will get what you pay for.... A trip can run as low as 50 dollars up to 100 per day depending on accommodation, food, and places you visit.

Owee

www.owee58.com

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy Rider from nha Trang to Dalat (Cat tien NP)

The cost can depend very much on your requirements.

If you just want to get from A to B in just one day, taking in the scenery as you go, then any driver with a decent motorbike and some command of English will do.

No matter which part of Vietnam, I prefer to travel with a locally born guide with a good knowledge of the history and customs of the area so that the journey is informative as well as scenic. There are a number of such riders in Dalat who can take you on a trip lasting 2 or more days, staying in simple but good en-suite rooms in 1* hotels. That costs in the region of $65 a day, including accommodation and perhaps food and entrance fees. The last 2 are very cheap so will only set you back a small amount if they're not included.

There's no way I would pay $100 a day unless the accommodation was very superior, but such accommodation might not be available on the route(s) in question.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy Rider from nha Trang to Dalat (Cat tien NP)

I have done it way back in the past (in a Toyota Camry) and going from Da Lat to Nha Trang or the other way around by motorbike is certainly high up on my agenda this coming trip (which starts next Wednesday). I am contemplating a three day trip via Buôn Ma Thuột.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easy Rider from nha Trang to Dalat (Cat tien NP)

"There's no way I would pay $100 a day unless the accommodation was very superior"

Creaky....3 and 4 star hotels are available in many of the overnight stops.

The current rate for a Nha Trang rider as low as 50 dollars, a Dalat rider is 70 dollars a day, and a foreign cruiser more ;) The customer is usually required to look after own food and expenses.

100 dollars a day is all inclusive and the person not need to look after any expenses. Also, be aware that the low cost trips will often include restarauunts or hotels that give commission to the rider to supplement their income since a trip of 50 or 60 dollars a day gives the rider a pretty poor wage after expenses

You get what you pay for

Owee

www.owee58.com

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easy Rider from nha Trang to Dalat (Cat tien NP)

Sorry Owee, but why on earth should one pay more for a 'foreign cruiser',

Even in the remote possibility that they have a good knowledge of local history, customs, folklore and so on, and are sufficiently fluent in Vietnamese to act as a competent translator for chats between the passenger and local people encountered en route, there is no justification for their charge being higher than that levied by a Vietnamese person with precisely the same qualifications.

As for the 'all inclusive' $100, that's a complete rip-off for someone like me who doesn't have the capacity to eat 10 dollars' worth of food a day, let alone 30 dollars' worth, bearing in mind that eateries known only by locals often have by far the best food at a very low cost once the larger cities are left behind. Oh, and when I have paid $65-70 a day that has included very satisfactory accommodation. Basic yes, but clean and with all the necessary facilities.

Apologies again, but if they charge $100 day I would give those 'foreign cruisers' a wide berth and stick with locals who are able to deliver all the things listed above at a less exploitative price.

Rant over!

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easy Rider from nha Trang to Dalat (Cat tien NP)

"but if they charge $100 day I would give those 'foreign cruisers' a wide berth" Wow! I think you misread what I wrote Creaky. I said "more" not 100 and the wink should have implied a jest.

Rider 70 dollars. Upgrade to 3 or 4 star hotel 25 dollars (if desired). Good lunch and dinner 10-15 dollars

= ? not exploitative at all. Not all trips are budget.

Owee

www.owee58.com

8. Re: Easy Rider from nha Trang to Dalat (Cat tien NP)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2013, 17:28