We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What did you do?

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
What did you do?

Hi, my name is Kate and I am trying to find out what the majority of people do when they have traveled around the world and also your experiences. So I have a series of questions.... everyone and anyone can answer and the more the better :) PLEASE and THANKYOU!

1. How do you look after your valuables when traveling?

2. What valuables do you take overseas?

3. Have you ever had anything important stolen overseas (like a passport) and if so....how did this happen?

4. Do you think wearing a money belt is the best way to go?

Thank you so much.!!!

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,996 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What did you do?

Kate my view on this is as follows.

1. and 2 I do not take any valuables overseas.

3. Therefore I have not had anything stolen

4. Never use a money belt as it identifies you as a money carrier.

Travellers are misled a lot by the hotel and travel media into believing they need to take as much luggage and paraphenalia as they can stuff into their flight allowance. In actual fact it is quite common on these pages to hear reports of people returning home with clothing that did not get unpacked whilst away. I too was guilty of this until I noticed just how little you really need. Travellers no longer go to the "Captains Table for Dinner"they really just move about these days trying to blend in. As a result of my trimming down I can go to Europe for 3 months with carry on bag only, and that includes my netbook.

Cheers Ross

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What did you do?

One third of my luggage allowance is taken up by camera gear, so that leaves little room/weight for other stuff.

Regardless of what other people need, I do want my camera(s), my tripod and my Macbook. You may call them valuables, I call them essentials.

When travelling in the developed world I carry credit cards. Vietnam has lots of ATM's so getting cash here is no problem.

Else I carry Euros and USD. How you carry it is up to you, as long as it doesn't show and cannot be grabbed by pickpockets.

And I make sure I have ample insurance.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,579 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What did you do?

1 Leave most at home and the rest can be left with hotel security

2 Only what you need to bring

3 In Vietnam your passport often is held by hotel and is safe. pickpockets and bag snatches happen everywhere so keep in a seperate secure location

4 Only a loose hanging pouch attached to the belt and worn on the inside is really secure as It flows freely and cannot be seen. Belts shapes are visible under clothing when you walk. Best to carry ATM card and only the cash amount you think you need.

Owee

www.owee58.com

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
993 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What did you do?

#1 - Divide between the two of us in various locations.... use the room safe....

#2 - Don't bother with watches or jewellery.... one phone only....

#3n - nope....

#4 - baldric uses a neck money wallet but we both have shorts 'n shirts with lots of pockets and hidden zips so again divide it all over the place so if pick pocketed, not going to get it all.....

cheers, baddles

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
432 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What did you do?

Kate

1. I don't wear any jewelry if that's what you are referring too.

2. my valuables are my passport, netbook and camera.

3. No. but when flying out of cambodia, my cell phone was taken out of my luggage. Not sure if that counts.

4. You don't need alot of money in vietnam. I carried my money in my front pocket but you can't tell.

Also since you are new here, I would do a search on scams.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,940 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What did you do?

Erm, Kate - are you really planning to travel to Vietnam or is this some sort of general research project?

The way your question is phrased indicates the latter, which would not only be contrary to the Trip Advisor rules but also exploitative of people's genuine desire to help fellow travellers with their holidays.

Honesty wouldn't go amiss here, but if I have guessed incorrectly I apologise.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,196 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What did you do?

This sounds like a school assignment. Why the Dalat forum for such general questions ? I'm confused !

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,940 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What did you do?

Kate's failure to reply speaks for itself methinks.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,889 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What did you do?

Mmmm in Dalat I can remember getting very wet under a waterfall! :)) And having a nice breakfast in some road side restaurant.

10. Re: What did you do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 May 2012, 16:36