We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dalat Jbr

new zealand
Level Contributor
170 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dalat Jbr

Slowly getting throught the reports, just this one and Saigon to go. I am cooking lemon grass chicken for dinner tonight and my husband caught me checking out weather in Vietnam in February. Think it must be the one week withdrawl!!!

We were picked up at the airport by a car sent from the hotel,River Prince, and had an enjoyable and reasonably toot free drive on a new road into Dalat. Very green and much less hectic. Actually the scenery and buildings were quite different from the other areas we had been and gave us lots to look at on the way to the hotel. We climbed quite a way before we reached the town of Dalat and it was a bit of a,'are we there yet' situation not knowing what to expect of the town itself.

Dalat is spread out over a hilly area with no real central town . The market is a bit of a hub then you just follow the streets up and down, and in and out of roads and alleys.

A lot cooler, and very flowery and green. The lake is big, sorry but it didn't really do much for me so I can't enthuse more that that. It wasn't like hanoi where you could stroll around and pop into cafes and watch the world go by from the lake area, more just a lake really,with the odd cafe and some swan boats that I am sure my husband was keen to have a go on but with my knees in pain I wasn't going to sacrifice my last piece of cartilage for a swan boat.

We were staying across from the Easy Riders Cafe so they found us pretty early on. We arranged a day trip, in a car, to go out into the countryside to see a range of stuff from, where they make weasel poo coffee to how cashew nuts are grown. This was great fun and very informative as we wandered in and out of families backyards. The easy riders are from dalat and will take you places that most tour groups can't. Into family run business and local villages. We had a great lunch at another place that I would never ventured into on my own that cost next to nothing and was more than we could eat. Perfect day!

We finished off our time in Dalat at a great Restaurant that I wished I'd discovered on the first night. I will check up on the name as I don't want to move away from this page in case I loose my post so I will add it in a separate post. The food was a mix of Vietnamese or Western and my husband zoomed in on the fish and chips! After a bottle of Dalat Red, of course, we were ready for the entertainment that was supplied by a very talented young man who played the guitar and sang every thing from the Beatles to Tom Petty and our very own Crowded House, which was so special.Note to any Aussies.....for that night they were ours all ours :-) Magic night.

We felt we were in another country while in Dalat, which I think is a bit of a thing with Vietnam. There are a lot of similarities in the areas we travelled in but also much diversity. And as with every where the people were what made it so special and memorable.

Till next time.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
485 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dalat Jbr

Dalat is very much like being in another country...... the architecture, the people,the geography.....very different. Love it.

2. Re: Dalat Jbr

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 May 2012, 16:36
3. Re: Dalat Jbr

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 17:17