We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Livitrans Train....forget it!

Bonney Lake...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Livitrans Train....forget it!

Just took the Livitrans train from Hanoi to Danang in order to get ot Hoi An. Mistake! Just chalked it up to experience. It's made out to be a very nice experience. NOT! No access to dining car, poor snack, no English speaking personnel, left Hanoi on time but got in 3 hours late, crew yelling and smoking in the hall until I asked them to stop. 15 hours.....should have flown for almost half the price and only one hour enroute.

Mentioned in this post
Livitrans
Livitrans
66 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Full-Day Halong Bay Islands and Cave...
145 Reviews
from US$43.00*
Free Cancellation
Halong Bay Full-Day Trip
82 Reviews
from US$43.00*
Free Cancellation
2-Day Oriental Sails Junk Cruise of...
47 Reviews
from US$125.00*
Hanoi, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Livitrans Train....forget it!

well, i understand your feeling. But what Livitrans really deliver is just a better cabin - livitrans only rent several carriages from Vietnam Railways and re-touch it to make it look better, nicer and cleaner.

Other than that, there is no service included, nor staff going with the train. Train conductors are Vietnam Railways people. That's why I often recommend people to get snacks and water before they get on train.

It is weird that they didnt open the door to dining car, it's kinda dangerous too if something happen. But I understand the reason is they dont want to let people getting through the " tourist carriage", if something is stolen, it can be a big problem for them for not watching out.

If the train has services as international standard, it will come up to Victoria Express to Sapa and would cost about 150US$ to go to Danang instead of about 40US$ like now.

Anyway, sorry to hear that your train ride was not pleasant.

Mentioned in this post
Livitrans
Livitrans
66 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam
Vietnam Railways
Vietnam Railways
294 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam
Sapa
Sapa
Lao Cai Province, Vietnam
Carcassonne Center...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Livitrans Train....forget it!

We tried Livitrans yesterday night to go from Huê to Hanoi for a 15 hours trip. We had already made this trip, 2 years ago and had been satisfied. In fact, Livitrans only proposes a better comfort : cleanest coaches, sheets for your bed...

We had a very bad experience yesterday. First, we were announced that we wouldn't have mineral water before the second station (in fact, we never had any), then we realised the two toilets in the coach were out of order. To finish, there was no current water even to wash hands in the lavatories.

As a result, we paid a ticket 30% more expensive than average to spend a very bad night. Thank you Livitrans...

Mentioned in this post
Livitrans
Livitrans
66 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Winnipeg, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Livitrans Train....forget it!

I just spent 22 days in Vietnam, 4 nites on sleeper trains. It was an experience no doubt. but I chauked it up as an adventure........loved every minute of it. If you want luxury trains go to Japan.

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,782 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Livitrans Train....forget it!

Excuse me, but exactly what luxurious features do you want with your $47. ticket? This is Vietnam and not Singapore. I have been more than satisfied with my trips on Livitrans - certainly considerably safer than driving on Vietnamese roads!

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Livitrans
Livitrans
66 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,832 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Livitrans Train....forget it!

i'm booked on Livitrans from Hanoi to Hue - i've never travelled on trains in vietnam except up to Sapa and they were okay.

All i want is a clean bed in my own carriage- i couldn't care less about mineral water or food- oh, and running water is a must (as well as working toilets....that part didn't sound very appealing ;( )

Mentioned in this post
Livitrans
Livitrans
66 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Hue
Hue
Thua Thien - Hue Province, Vietnam
Sapa
Sapa
Carcassonne Center...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Livitrans Train....forget it!

I am not speaking about luxury but about reasonable comfort. You know what I mean : the possibility of going to the toilets during a 15 hours trip, the fact of brushing teeth before arriving...

It"s not a question of money (even if 1 million VND, the price for 1 ticket Hue-Hanoi , corresponds to the third of an average month for someone working in Vietnam). I"m just waiting for what I was promised by the advertising, that and nothing more

Mentioned in this post
Hue
Hue
Thua Thien - Hue Province, Vietnam
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Livitrans Train....forget it!

"Excuse me, but exactly what luxurious features do you want with your $47. ticket?"

$47 is a lot of money for train travel in Vietnam. I'd hardly call functioning toilets, water and polite, non-smoking staff "luxurious features".

Mentioned in this post
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Livitrans Train....forget it!

"$47 is a lot of money for train travel in Vietnam. I'd hardly call functioning toilets, water and polite, non-smoking staff "luxurious features""

Sorry, CAGV, I would. In Vietnam. Currently.

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Livitrans Train....forget it!

Thanks for the feedback from everybody.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Livitrans Train....forget it!

Yes, the experience in the train was unforgetale, but the whole Hanoi, Halong Bay and Sapa experience is the one that i will always treasured, IMO Halong Bay should be nominated for the "Eighth wonder of the world" ,even though it took us 4 hrs to reach there at a 40-60k/hr speed, and the constant oncoming traffic that only take seconds to avoid, that keeps one amused .(shout your eyes if you have a weak heart).

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Sapa
Sapa