We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather alert - Flooding Northern Vietnam

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,247 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Weather alert - Flooding Northern Vietnam

…vnagency.com.vn/Miscellany/225029/flooding-… Try to keep dry!

Belfast
Level Contributor
243 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather alert - Flooding Northern Vietnam

Oh no

We are planning to be in Hanoi from 3rd week in June. Might just head back down south i think. Dont fancy that at the end of our holiday.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather alert - Flooding Northern Vietnam

There can be no doubt my Vietnamese friends in Hanoi will be delighted by some cooling rain and lower temperatures, and even flooding would be little more than a temporary inconvenience, or at worst would involve a fair bit of mopping up.

However for people living on the slopes of or at the foot of hills and mountains elsewhere in the north, landslides are always a possibility so fingers crossed for them.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather alert - Flooding Northern Vietnam

Hmmm..not sure I like the sound of this. We're due to arrive from DaNang on the 29th of May for 5 days. I guess we'll just have to keep an eye on things very closely.

Thanks for the warning. Much appreciated.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather alert - Flooding Northern Vietnam

Always a good idea to have a flexible itinerary. One more reason I personally never book and pay for hotels and tours far in advance.

And a heads up to all those travelers who like to micro manage and plan their holidays 12 months ahead :-)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather alert - Flooding Northern Vietnam

Well fortunately we've booked through a site that has a good cancellation policy - but I hope we don't need to use it!!

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,247 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather alert - Flooding Northern Vietnam

Update …vnagency.com.vn/social-issues/225104/heavy-…

England, Arkansas
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather alert - Flooding Northern Vietnam

well, I think that is good information however i can not be rain everyday, impossible :))

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather alert - Flooding Northern Vietnam

nessnem, you really don't have to worry too much. The flooded area is many kilometres from the places where tourists venture and the flooding is doubtlessly down to the drains not functioning properly.

The heavy summer rain in Hanoi rarely lasts more than an hour or two and the rest of the day it is dry. Moreover the rain brings down the temperature for a while, which believe me you will be grateful for!

London
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather alert - Flooding Northern Vietnam

I am due to arrive in Hanoi on 5 June for a 3 day trip to Halong Bay and then a 2 day trip to Sapa ... given the heavy rainfall do you think I should give Sapa a miss?

Thanks for any advice.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather alert - Flooding Northern Vietnam

Pink, only typhoons are predictable and it's not the typhoon season yet. There's absolutely no saying whether it will be raining in Sapa when you plan to go, so if you can you should play it by ear and decide when you get to Hanoi.