We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Payment for Visa at airport - currency...

Pretoria
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Payment for Visa at airport - currency...

We will be visiting Vietnam in Nov. My hotel already arranged the visa letter but I am wondering about the payment at the airport. I'm from South Africa but will be arriving via Thailand.

Do they accept only US$ and VND?

I suppose we will not be able to reach a ATM before going through customers and they dont accept credit cards so we will have to plan having the correct money.

Mentioned in this post
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,589 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Payment for Visa at airport - currency...

Some have had success with Euros but that's not any help to you. I'd suggest getting the USD before you leave home and just tucking it away. You're right about the ATMs.

Pretoria
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Payment for Visa at airport - currency...

Thanks York. Will get some US$ in SA.

Just noticed my creative spelling mistake - I mean customs

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Payment for Visa at airport - currency...

USD $ is popular in Vietnam, so bring it with you during your holiday, using credit card, master or visa will be surcharge 3 % due to bank fee.

Mentioned in this post
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,589 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Payment for Visa at airport - currency...

I think puranas is a little confused (not least about his/her location-Vancouver, really?) and didn't realise you were referring only to your VOA payment.

S/he is correct, though, in advising that if you use your credit card for transactions in VN you will incur an extra 3% merchant fee in addition to any of your own bank's fees. I can't categorically state that Rand are easily exchanged in VN banks for VND, but I'd be surprised if they're not.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
408 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Payment for Visa at airport - currency...

We paid in US$ when we arrived this past March. The fees are posted in US$ and all the persons I saw ahead of me (4 or 5) also paid in US$. We brought US$ with us and found it readily accepted at most places. To get dong we just spent US$ at shops and then received change in VN dong. We did exchange some US$ in a money changer office.

By week 3 we did need an ATM and they were readily available. But you should do a search here on TA about the different bank ATM's. Some have different withdrawal limits. You will want to maximize your withdrawals since the charges through your bank will be high and you won't want to keep going back to them.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,589 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Payment for Visa at airport - currency...

When you pay in shops in USD, they convert the VND price to USD at a rate favourable to them, so you may well end up paying over the odds. That is why it's a better idea if possible to convert your own currency directly to VND at the bank so you don't end up paying one conversion fee- your currency to USD- then a poor one- USD to VND- at the shop.

Also you should check your bank's foreign withdrawal fees. Not all banks charge an arm and a leg and it is worth checking through your local banks for one with the lowest fees and opening an account with them. And of course let them know when and where you will be travelling so they don't put a block on it for suspicious transactions.

Austin, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Payment for Visa at airport - currency...

The exact cash amount, also there is another form you need to fill out prior to entering... once you land just show them the forms.. and they will make you wait.. so they can validate your visa on arrival form.. then you will pay them cash..

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Payment for Visa at airport - currency...

We were traveling in a group of 4. I got 100usd at Melbourne airport before we left (25$ each). The guy before me asked to pay 1 in $aud & was charged $50!. Better to get US!. Atm's everywhere; have fun! Wonderful place,wonderful people.

Singapore
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Payment for Visa at airport - currency...

Hi Shopaholic Pretoria

I just want to check how you arranged your visa. Because i can't for the life of me figure out if we can apply for visa on line before arrival. Vietnam is a last minute add to my travel plans.

I would appreciate the help

Thanks

Minette

Mentioned in this post
QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Payment for Visa at airport - currency...

Look to the right

FAQ - Visa on Arrival (VOA)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293921-c148049/Vietn…