We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help...an extra day in Hanoi

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
363 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Help...an extra day in Hanoi

Hi All,

I messed up and I just realized that we have an extra day in Hanoi. The problem is that we are so tired of this crazy city and my kids are about to kill me. What are some good things to do outside the city that are not too far? My kids do not want another long car ride. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Debbie

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,940 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help...an extra day in Hanoi

Tired of Hanoi? Good grief!!!

If you're not templed out and it wouldn't be too tame for your kids, how about a day cruise down the Red River, stopping at 3 temples and Bat Trang pottery village? The cruise starts from a central location, lunch is served on board and it's as quiet and peaceful as can be on the river.

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Red River
Red River
58 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help...an extra day in Hanoi

Hi CB,

I knew that would catch your eye. We have not fallen in love with the city...it is just to hot, crowded and dirty. We had a wonderful time in Sapa and are leaving for Halong Bay tomorrow. I'll look into your suggestion.

Thanks,

Debbie

Mentioned in this post
Sapa
Sapa
Lao Cai Province, Vietnam
Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help...an extra day in Hanoi

Dear Trekking... its hard to love Hanoi in this heat and humidity.

Have you been to the Museum of Ethnology yet? Kids tend to like it because of the large outdoor area with ethnic minority houses to climb into and run around.

Plus if you enjoyed Sapa this would provide an opportunity to learn a lithe bit more about ethnic minorities.

And if your kids just need a break to relax and let off some stream and cool down you could spend a few hours at the Hanoi Water Park. Another option to just cool down and relax in the wonderful salt water pool at the Army Hotel. You don't need to be a guest to use it and the admission costs is very reasonable. Hanoi Towers on Hai Ba Trung will also let you in to use the pool and they have a very lovely one on the 5th floor. Their servers are also great at delivering cold drinks and ice cream to you while you relax in a lounge chair. More expensive than the Army Hotel, but in this weather its a welcome respite.

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Vietnam Museum of Ethnology
Vietnam Museum of...
5,894 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam
Sapa
Sapa
Army Hotel
Army Hotel
91 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help...an extra day in Hanoi

Thanks. I think that they might enjoy the water park! We'll give it a try. After our amazing experience in Sapa it has been tough in Hanoi but our overall experience has been fantastic.

Mentioned in this post
Sapa
Sapa
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
5. Re: Help...an extra day in Hanoi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2012, 18:40
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,940 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help...an extra day in Hanoi

Ha Debbie, I have to admit that even I don't enjoy Hanoi when it's very hot!

During the final week or so of my most recent stay (I left in the first week of May) the temperature was hovering around the 40 C mark. Apart from the undiminished pleasure of spending time with friends, that period was more or less wasted due to the intense heat and humidity - I could barely put one foot in front of the other and was loathe to move away from air conditioners for long, so I couldn't take my usual walks to the more peaceful parts of Hanoi.

You should feel cooler in Halong Bay and I'm sure you'll all enjoy yourselves to the full.

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Italy
Level Contributor
39,683 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help...an extra day in Hanoi

Another vote for the Ethnology Museum, there were loads of kids when we were there and the outdoor water puppet show is free.

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help...an extra day in Hanoi

Of course I agree about heading to the Ethnology Museum, but be aware the water puppet show is only on the weekend.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,616 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help...an extra day in Hanoi

The Ethnology Museum is really cool- I think the kids will enjoy the most the fish trap bike in the entry lobby (owned by a fish trap seller, you can barely see the bike in this huge cloud of bamboo fish traps, the seller must have pushed it rather than ridden it) and the ethnic houses which have been reassembled in the grounds at the back. The houses are open to the visitors going in and out, and would appeal a lot to children.

Hanoi
Level Contributor
734 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help...an extra day in Hanoi

I think Ho Tay water park is best place not far from hanoi city centre and your kids can relax with swimming and some interesting games. Also your family can take picture with lotus garden close by.

cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Ho Tay Water Park
Ho Tay Water Park
82 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam