We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temple of Literature

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Temple of Literature

Hi everyone,

Is the Temple of Literature open on Mondays? I've read some conflicting things (including posts here on TripAdvisor), so it would be great to have a clarification.

Also, I'm assuming this is a place where a woman would have to dress modestly (shoulders, knees covered)?

Thanks for your help,

Beth

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,906 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Temple of Literature

You probably have a point about the generation thing Laura - my ancient knees are an affront to the visual senses and definitely should not be exposed to the world, in a temple or anywhere else. It never goes amiss to be respectful of local cultures though, irrespective of whether the knees (female or male) are gorgeous or best hidden away.

As for the Monday opening thing, that seems to vary. When I was out walking that way one Monday in April this year (I've been a few times and didn't intend to go in) the Temple of Literature was most definitely closed and others have experienced likewise over the years.

So to be sure Beth, if you do want to visit on a Monday get someone at your hotel to phone beforehand in order to avoid a fruitless walk or taxi ride.

12. Re: Temple of Literature

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2012, 18:27
Stamford...
Level Contributor
135 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Temple of Literature

Oh, CB! I did not mean for it to come out that way! My knees are no better than anyone else's, I just thought it was funny. The Hanoikid tour guide just responded as if I was a martian :) Today, I did see a sign at the pagoda on the West Lake (don't know the name sorry...) that said "No short recommended". I am leaving on the train to Hue now and will definitely be donning the long shorts tomorrow for the temples/pagodas there. Important to respect religions of course!

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,745 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Temple of Literature

^As long as you are not wearing what you would at the beach/club attire you will be fine in any temple/pagoda. (good rule of thumb)

Shorts will be fine.... :)

Stamford...
Level Contributor
135 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Temple of Literature

One quick thing I should have mentioned about the Temple of Literature. After the Hanoikids showed us around, we were leaving to head back to our hotel. We were walking arm in arm with the Hanoikids girls and a man seemed to be following us all too closely. Luckily, our Hanoikid spotted it and we all scurried away. He appeared to be trying to trip the Hanoikid, maybe to rob my friend of her bag by creating a distraction? Anyhow, be careful outside as it is very crowded.

16. Re: Temple of Literature

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2013, 17:17