We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HCM, Mekong Delta, Siem Reap, Phu Quoc back to HCM.

UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
HCM, Mekong Delta, Siem Reap, Phu Quoc back to HCM.

Hello everyone!

First of all I would like to say thank you for so much information and help you all provide :-)

I have 24 days to do the above next February and am getting confused as to how to do it . The only thing I have booked so far is my flight to and from HCM. I am reading loads but am still unsure as to the best way to do it all.

I am a solo female so feeling safe is important. I also would rather keep costs down where possible.

Am I best to travel to SR and PQ by boat (flying options are quite expensive to both).

Could anyone suggest a suitable itinerary please?

I'm quite open to any suggestions that you might have.

What areas in each of these places are best to stay near?

Like I said I have read plenty on here (top right included) .

Does anyone wish to share a similar itinerary which they have experienced?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Kindest regards.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HCM, Mekong Delta, Siem Reap, Phu Quoc back to HCM.

Hi Ginger

I had a similar trip idea for Feb 2012.....

Bought reurn tix to HCMC from Australia.

2 nights in HCMC (I have been to HCMC before)

Booked a Mekong Delta trip with The Sinh Tourist @ 248 De Tham St District 1 HCMC www.thesinhtourist.vn Tour was 3 days and 2 nights for $50AUD. (Booked this trip at the shopfront the day before I planned to take the trip) Fantastic trip, a highlight for me, really enjoyed the Mekong Delta.

The above trip finished in PP Cambodia. The Sinh Tourist helped with Cambodian Visa and entry etc. Enjoyed a couple of days in PP Cambodia.

Bus to Siem Reap for 5 days to explore temples and Tonle Sap Lake Kompong Phluk etc.

At this point I had originally though to go to Phu Quok but decided on Sihanoukville in Cambodia instead. Loved Sihanoukville on the Cambodian Coast! I travelled by bus from Siem Reap to PP, then a driver to Sihanoukville.

I bused back to PP then plane from PP to HCMC to catch up with friends living there then flew home to Aus.

I did travel with husband but the previous trip travelled with 2 girlfriends and have never felt unsafe. I would take the same caustions in Melbourne City as I would in HCMC or Cambodia.

Enjoy your planning. The planning and anticipation of the trip is a major part for me.

Happy travels.

Mentioned in this post
The Sinh Tourist Day Tours
The Sinh Tourist Day...
485 Reviews
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Tonle Sap Lake
Tonle Sap Lake
1,988 Reviews
Kompong Phluk
Kompong Phluk
834 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville Province, Cambodia
UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: HCM, Mekong Delta, Siem Reap, Phu Quoc back to HCM.

Hi Gale

Thank you so much for your ideas. I shall do some reading up on the alternative you experienced.

Did you need a multiple entry visa?

Yes I really wish to do the Mekong delta trip that you did.

Were there any other villages/places/tours that you visited or went on that you felt were a must?

For me the planning and anticipation is also very exciting!! :-)

Thank you.

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HCM, Mekong Delta, Siem Reap, Phu Quoc back to HCM.

You better start from Siemreap -Phnompenh- cross border to Mekong Delta Vienam, enjoy Mekong Delta then Phu Quoc, after Phu Quoc you can continue your onwards trip to HCM and the North if you wish.

Cheers,

Nhung

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc Island
Kien Giang Province, Vietnam
UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: HCM, Mekong Delta, Siem Reap, Phu Quoc back to HCM.

Hi Nhung

I have already booked my flights to and from HCMC.

Kind regards.

Mentioned in this post
Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
336 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HCM, Mekong Delta, Siem Reap, Phu Quoc back to HCM.

We have a similar trip booked for Jan/Feb. We fly in to Ho Chi Minh and are staying overnight near the airport. The next day we are flying to Siem Reap. After SR we are taking the bus down to Phnom Penh, and after our time there will fly back to Saigon for the night. Next day we fly HCM to Phu Quoc. We have 1 1/2 days in HCM on our way home. As we've been to Vietnam before, we are undecided what to do there.

Yes, you will need a multiple entry visa for Vietnam and also a visa for Cambodia.

If you are looking for hotels in Vietnam for February, remember that TET is this month and hotels will book up fast, especially on Phu Quoc.

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Saigon Hotel
Saigon Hotel
211 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc Island
UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: HCM, Mekong Delta, Siem Reap, Phu Quoc back to HCM.

Hi barbs

Thank you for the info!

I haven't been to Vietnam before but did visit PP and SR some years ago. I really loved both but have wanted to visit SR and all it's wonderful temples again. I don't feel such a need to see PP again, although I did like it.

I'd love to ideally go HCMC - Mekong - SR - Phu Quoc - HCMC and see as much inbetween as I can......I love photography (although wouldn't say I'm great at it).

I'd also like to keep costs down......I know, I don't want much do I?!

The more I read the more indecisive I become....it's all part of the planning I guess :-)

Kind regards

Mentioned in this post
Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc Island
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HCM, Mekong Delta, Siem Reap, Phu Quoc back to HCM.

Hi Ginger

We needed a multiple visa entry for Vietnam as our trip began and ended in Saigon and we went across the border into Cambodia. This was easily arranged through the Vietnam Embassy/Consulate in Canberra Australia. If fact, can only speak very highly of the Vietnamese Consulate, they organised our visa in a very short time frame at my request as our trip initially had to be rushed and we planned the whole thing about ten days before we left home.

Sinh Tourist who we did the Mekong trip with organised the Cambodian visa, you will need one or two passport sized photos. With Sinh Tourist we saw plenty of villages and out of the way places we couldnt have done and seen easily on our own.

I too love photograpy and got some awsome pics.....

Enjoy your travels

Mentioned in this post
Saigon Hotel
Saigon Hotel
211 Reviews
The Sinh Tourist Day Tours
The Sinh Tourist Day...
485 Reviews
8. Re: HCM, Mekong Delta, Siem Reap, Phu Quoc back to HCM.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2013, 17:15