We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yerevan, Tbilisi and?

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
302 posts
3 reviews
Yerevan, Tbilisi and?
Save

I'm thinking about visiting Armenia and Georgia this summer. Originally I wanted to go to Baku as well, but I don't want to add another flight in the middle of my trip. So I'll do Azerbaijan on a separate trip.

But now I'm wondering where I should go instead. I'm planning on about 2 weeks total and want to travel by train as much as possible, or other means of public transport if there's no train. I don't have a license, so can't rent a car. I don't want to have more than 3 bases, but day trips are fine.

I haven't booked anything yet, haven't even made any decisions yet, so I'm just looking for some ideas here. Not a big fan of nature/outdoor activities (other than swimming in the sea) and prefer bigger towns/cities over small, remote villages. Like I said above, it needs to be accessible by public transport (preferably by train). Getting there from Tbilisi/Yerevan and then getting around once I'm there. I like standard city sightseeing: architecture, museums (no art) and just generally walking around and getting a feel of a place. Big parks are always a plus too.

Never been in the area and not sure if/when I'll be back, so I'd like to make the most out of my time.

4 replies to this topic
Yerevan, Armenia
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
1. Re: Yerevan, Tbilisi and?
Save

Georgia and especially Armenia do not have developed train network, so forget about that idea. Connection with regions is most of the time organized by minivans.

Yerevan, Armenia
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
2. Re: Yerevan, Tbilisi and?
Save

In Armenia you can base in - Yerevan, Dilijan, Gyumri

In Gerogia - Tbilisi, Kutaisi, Batumi (for the sea).

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
302 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Yerevan, Tbilisi and?
Save

Thanks for your replies. I clearly need to do some more research. I guess I'm just so used to the great train network here in Central Europe that I sometimes forget other countries might not be as well connected. I've never traveled by minivan before. Can you point me to a website where I can check public transport in Armenia?

I did think about Batumi, mostly because of the sea and because I just feel like I need a few days of beach vacation every year to really unwind. Just not sure if it's the best way to spend my time. Will look into Dilijan and Gyumri.

Yerevan, Armenia
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
4. Re: Yerevan, Tbilisi and?
Save

Well, Caucasus is definitely not to be compared with the Central Europe :) Trains here are not only infrequent and rare, but also very slow.

Here you can learn about the public transportation system in Armenia.

https://yerevancard.com/en/about-armenia/armenia/transport-in-yerevan

https://t-armenia.com/en/public-transport-in-yerevan

Also, for museums in Armenia you just google "Museums in Armenia" or Yerevan and choose what you want to visit. There are plenty of museums both in Yerevan and Gyumri.

Reply to: Yerevan, Tbilisi and?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.