We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yerevan to Akhaltsikhe, Georgia

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Yerevan to Akhaltsikhe, Georgia

Hello fellow travellers,

I'll be travelling to Armenia for the first time in third week of August.

Can anyone confirm if there are public transport options available between Yerevan and Akhaltsikhe in Georgia? I've read somewhere that there should be a bus leaving once a day but couldn't find any specifics.

Would love to hear more details from you experts!

Best,

Kat

Mentioned in this post
Yerevan
Yerevan
Armenia
Georgia
Georgia
Europe
3 days-2 nights tour to Artsakh-NKR...
3 Reviews
from US$185.00*
Free Cancellation
2 days-1 night tour to Georgia from...
4 Reviews
from US$140.00*
Free Cancellation
Day Trip: Tatev Ropeway...
3 Reviews
from US$38.60*
Free Cancellation
8 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
2 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yerevan to Akhaltsikhe, Georgia

Hi Kat

http://ablog.gratun.am

This portal says that there is a bus from Yerevan to Akhaltsikhe from Kilikia bus station at 8:30am.

Price is 4000 dram (~$9)

Best regards

Hayk

Mentioned in this post
Yerevan
Yerevan
Armenia
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yerevan to Akhaltsikhe, Georgia

Did anyone take this trip? I am planning to do so the end of September. But I am traveling alone so trying to reduce anxiety. Thanks!

Greater London...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Yerevan to Akhaltsikhe, Georgia

Hey I'm gonna do this trip, or do it from Gyumri, at some point towards the end of September. So I'll let you know how it went asap.

Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yerevan to Akhaltsikhe, Georgia

We might be trying to do this the same time! But please do post...or I'll post if first. Thanks!

Greater London...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yerevan to Akhaltsikhe, Georgia

I'm actually going to Akhalkalki not the other one Alkhaltsikhe. I keep getting them 2 mixed up. Gonna head to Vardzia once I get there.

If you're nervous about being on your own we can go together. At least I can speak to someone on the journey.

Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Yerevan to Akhaltsikhe, Georgia

Hello Everyone,

Did you guys success going to this route by public transport from Yerevan to Akhaltsikhe?

Please kindly update, I will go cross border from this route and will continue to Vardzia.

Mentioned in this post
Yerevan
Yerevan
Armenia
Greater London...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Yerevan to Akhaltsikhe, Georgia

I ended up in Gyumri and got a ride to Akhaltsikhe. Didn't experience any problems. Your driver would most likely drop you off at the place in Akaltisikhe where there are a few taxis as he did with me. I didn't get a ride from Yerevan to Gyumri but I can say for sure if you can't get to Alkahtsikhe from Yerevan, you will be able to from Gyumri.

From Akhaltsikhe I got a taxi to the fortress just before Vardzia. I'm sure if you asked the driver would take you all the way to Vardzia and wait.There's a hotel in Vardzia that's cheap but Marshrutka drivers wouldn't take me back out of Vardzia, not sure why. Luckily I got a ride from a Dutch lady who had hired a private driver.

Mentioned in this post
Yerevan
Yerevan
Armenia
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Yerevan to Akhaltsikhe, Georgia

Thank you Mark. Actually I got some information from tripfinger about the transportation before I got your reply. They do have bus from Yerevan to Akhaltsikhe Bus Station then 3 buses a day to Vardzia.

Mentioned in this post
Yerevan
Yerevan
Armenia
Reply to: Yerevan to Akhaltsikhe, Georgia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yerevan