We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flooding 2013

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,858 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Flooding 2013

Floodwaters are rising rapidly in several provinces of Cambodia.

See here for details:

phnompenhpost.com/national/…9996-levels

From photos taken today and received from Siem Reap a few minutes ago, there is clearly water over some parts of the road from Siem Reap to the Tonle Sap already.

Best regards. Ian

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flooding 2013

there is only slight water over the lake road Ian,the river is ok just a bit high,todays blue skies will help.i travelled this road yesterday and again today,i was actually thinking of you yesterday as there where 2 parts just had a bit of water going over 2 places up from the pottery centre,can remember talking to you 2 years ago about there kiln:) anyway the blue skies in siem reap will help.i just came back last week from phnom penh and Kompong Chan and it looks like the mekong is raising due to the release of water ,been lots of rain up north..

2. Re: Flooding 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 September 2013, 19:05
Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,858 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flooding 2013

Worth reading. Flood proofing Siem Reap town but not the outlying areas where so many of the workers in the town's hospitality industry live.

phnompenhpost.com/siem-reap-insider/siem-rea…

Best regards. Ian

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,858 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flooding 2013

Hello again Phil,

Odd why posting number 2 has been deleted.

However the facts of the situation are that as at yesterday afternoon, 28th September, the Siem Reap River is now flowing freely over the road and in to adjoining properties on the road between Siem Reap and the Tonle Sap at circa the 3.4 Km point adjoining the Atwear Pagoda and the Angkor Pottery Centre. However, tourist vehicles are still passing through the rising water at this point at this time.

However, given the recent heavy rains one should expect the flooding in this area to increase over the next few days which could make things difficult for those persons travelling to/from Siem Reap by the so-called fast boat.

Best regards. Ian

seattle
Level Contributor
366 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flooding 2013

Hello Ian, will this flooding effect any of the outlying hotels? We are reserved at Pavillion d'Orient on 25 Oct. better warned than ignorant! Thank you.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,858 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flooding 2013

Hello cercis,

Well, I can't predict the future but so far the minor flooding is outside of Siem Reap town.

But if one has regards to the flooding of a couple of years ago, I know only too well from paddling to wading around parts of Siem Reap that some parts of the tourist area are lower lying than others.

Given the flooding that existed prior to the recent tropical storm, and given that it takes some days for this recent heavy rain falls to come down the Siem Reap River, it would pay to keep an eye on things. And a regular poster such as Paul who lives there and moves around a lot by both boat and onshore is probably the best person for keeping us all up to date on this. I get a very steady stream of information from several parts of Cambodia including some digital images of the current situation near Siem Reap. Wait and watch would be my advice because we just do not know how effective all of the clearing out of the Siem Reap River through the town after the last floods is going to be.

I shall be back in Cambodia in just 16 days time but not in the Siem Reap area on this trip.

There is also one other potential problem in that all of the flood control sluice gates used to be manually operated but many are now electrically remote controlled so, as we found out last time, if the electricity goes out then no one can operate the flood control sluice gates!

We just have to wait and see.

Best regards. Ian

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flooding 2013

hi Ian,its ok at the moment and the river that was cleaned out last year is 80% full,they have installed drainage pipes this year that are copping well so further down towards the lake its overflowing the river but the drains are taking it away into the lake proper.there are many areas outside siem reap flooded however and just had to cancel a planned trip as the waters too high in the village i was due to visit:)i will go in a few more days,

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,858 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flooding 2013

Flooding claims at least 30 lives so far.

Details here - wral.com/flooding-in-cambodia-claims-at-leas…

Best regards. Ian

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,858 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flooding 2013

Flooding in Phnom Penh close to emergency levels.

Clearly, the recent very heavy rains are causing the Mekong and Tonle Sap Rivers to rise swiftly.

For details please see:

cambodiadaily.com/news/…

Best regards. Ian

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,858 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flooding 2013

The flooding of the road between Siem Reap and the Tonle Sap/Phnom Krom has increased considerably during past 24/36 hours.

Best regards. Ian