We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baby milk formula

Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Baby milk formula

I just have a query for anyone to answer, if they know. We are going to Penang for a two-week break and was going to carry our baby formula for our 1 year old, but would like to know what they quality of baby formula is like in Malaysia. It owuld be easiest to jsut buy it there, but I am a little concerned about the recent deaths in China from contamination of baby formula. Can anyone help me and help alleviate my concerns. Am I being unduly worried.

Thanks for your help.

Golly

Malaysia
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Baby milk formula

Plenty of baby formulas here in Penang(as well as whole Malaysia), the sources mainly from Australia or NZ. No China milk issue for baby formula here at all.

Which baby formula(brand's name) are you using?

Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Baby milk formula

Thanks for that quick reply. That is a relief. No need to carry unnecessary baggage. I currently use Wyeth S26, but am not bound to any particular brand.

Golly

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
686 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baby milk formula

i recently went to Malaysia with a 6 month old and therefore was going through lots of milk!

In the Uk i use Aptimal i took small cartons for the journey and a tub for when we got there.

We were there for 3 weeks so bought extra when i was there.

I emailed Aptimal before i went to see if they sold in Malaysia but they said no but would suggest Dumex.

My son was on hungry baby and i knew that i could not last 3 weeks with him on normal foruma milk but i went to tesco and they had loads on offer.

I used Dumex Gold which when you looked at it looked completely like Aptimal in the carton etc.

I would say it is worth going to Tesco or cold storage in Island Plaza if your staying in BF to get the choice of the milks.

I was also concerened when i heard about the china milk problem and i have since emailed Dumex in Malaysia and they have confirmed that all their milk is made in Malaysia and completely safe.

Dont know if your still steralising but i took steralising tablets from uk and bought a bucket when i got there when i was doing my searching for food for him in the supermarkets pharmaceys etc ( we needed food in jars and i dont think he will ever have sweet potato ever again!) and i did see steralising tablets once but they were not common in shops. So id make sure you take enough.

If you want any other advise just message me and i will try and help. Have a great trip

Malaysia
Level Contributor
556 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Baby milk formula

I believe that S26 is one of the formula widely used in Malaysia. I'll be going to Giant supermarket later to pick up some groceries, so will report later.

Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Baby milk formula

Thanks for all your help. I'm much happier having heard your experiences. I don't see any need to carry any more than some for the journey and a little more and then head to the supermarket for supplies once we arrive.

Golly

Malaysia
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Baby milk formula

Yes, S26 is a known brand in M'sia. (baby's poo tends to be greyish in color coz of the iron content - that's what I know about S26...lol)

While most of the milk/milk powder/baby formula are processed and packed in M'sia, the milk source is from either Australia or NZ.

As for the tainted milk scandal,I quote this from local news:

"Liow* confirmed that there were no dairy products (milk or milk powder) from China sold in Malaysia since last year.

"To sell milk here, you would need a special licence from the Veterinary Services Department. The department has said that none had been given to Chinese companies since last year." ....."

Liow - M'sia Health Minister

So, Golly, perhaps it's time to hop over to Penang forums and check out some interesting posts there soon?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
556 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Baby milk formula

Saw it at Giant supermarket. S26 sold at about RM50 (AUD18) and S26 Gold at RM67(AUD24) for the 900 gm/1.9lbs tin.

My younger daughter on this formula 20 yrs ago!

All the supermarkets will most probably stock them. There is usually an row of milk formula/baby food in the supermarkets.

The nearest supermarket will be Cold Storage in Island Plaza or Gurney Plaza. Both are in the basement level and midway to Georgetown.

Giant is also in Georgetown, next to Dorsett Hotel(Larut Road).

Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Baby milk formula

thanks so much. You all have been so helpful. am looking forward so much to our holiday.

Golly

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
346 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Baby milk formula

Hi Golly

You can also check out this link from the Food Safey & Quality Div of our Ministry of Health. They update the information daily. Note that Wyeth's products on page 20:

…moh.gov.my/uploads/senaraiproduk280908.pdf

The Ministry of Health's website link is

www.moh.gov.my/MohPortal/index.jsp?lang=en

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baby milk formula

Can anyone tell me if you can get S26 Baby formula in Langkawi, last time I was there I only saw small stores in Kuah and I wasn't looking for bay food so I'm not sure if it is available?