We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KTM Berhad Train Website: Schedule & Tickets

Airplanes, boats...
Level Contributor
17 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
KTM Berhad Train Website: Schedule & Tickets

Anyone familiar with the website & train?

http://www.ktmb.com.my

I really don't understand & they don't respond to questions from their 'contact us' page.

Thinking about taking train from Penang (Butterworth) to KL. So, when I put in date for journey & click Timetable, it shows 4 trains #1, 3, 7 & 1003.

OK, I think I'd like #3 leaving @ 10am.

When selected, on the date I want (22Aug) there are no tickets for sale. Sold out? Not running? Can't buy ticket?

It seems no matter what date is entered - I tried lots and lots - there NEVER is any available seats on that train. I tried tomorrow, next week, all kinds of dates in August, even Sep & Oct....

Maybe is saying I should forget about the train. I guess bus is faster - but call me crazy, I kind of like trains. Maybe I won't like Malaysian trains?

Redang Island
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: KTM Berhad Train Website: Schedule & Tickets

22nd August 2009..is School Holiday until 30th August 2009.

20th September until 22nd September 2009..is Hari Raya Aidifitri..Public Holiday..

Some ticket already full booked.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,250 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KTM Berhad Train Website: Schedule & Tickets

Hi Love2beTraveling,

Forget about the KTM train

Suggest you try this double decker luxury coach for better scenery while travelling.

Book online early cos your travelling date clash with the coming festival

https://www.aeroline.com.my/

Cheers

Airplanes, boats...
Level Contributor
17 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KTM Berhad Train Website: Schedule & Tickets

Thanks for the replies...

As far as being fully booked - I just don't buy it - I don't believe you can pick ANY date ANY AT ALL where you will find any seats for sale on the 10:00 train.

For example, 8-Sep - which is not within the holidays listed - 10:00 train has nothing, but there are more than 270 seats you can buy on the 7:00 train. Doesn't make sense to me. On the date I want - which you say is around the holiday time for school - the 7:00 train has over 250 seats available for sale. It would seem to me that either the train isn't really running, or for some reason they aren't selling tickets for it (or some travel agency has bought all the tickets?)

As for bus option - I am thinking about that, but I do not want to leave so early - the Aero has only 1 bus daily at 8:30am - earlier than I would like. I think there are other bus companies that have service --- Plusliner? Nice?

I'd like to leave around 10am.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
2,097 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KTM Berhad Train Website: Schedule & Tickets

Register with KTM to get access into their online booking so that you have preview the available seats.

Click online services(eticket)

http://www.ktmb.com.my/

I had a look for 22nd Aug.

Train 1 - still have first and second class seats/

Train 3 - sold out

Train 7 - a few first class tickets, but plenty of second class

Train 3 does have tickets from 29th Aug onwards. I think that tickets can be booked about a mth ahead only.

As for buses, NICE leaves Sg Nibong bus terminal on a 2 hrs interval. It will arrive at the old KTM station in Kuala Lumpur.

Airplanes, boats...
Level Contributor
17 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KTM Berhad Train Website: Schedule & Tickets

Hmm. Thanks 4 reply. I had already registered to purchase online.

Well, I decided to CALL the KTM Call Center since my VoIP is free to Malaysia anyway.

I ask about the 10am train - she tells me "it's not open yet - you can call again later". Not that it's sold out - that they are not selling tickets.

So, I ask about, say, 5 Aug which also cannot be purchased, and she says - the 10am train runs only on Saturday and Sunday which is why it can't be purchased for Aug 5. (Then, why does it show up when inquire as to timetable for Aug 5?)

OK, so then I call the Butterworth station and ask - and again am told the 10am train runs only on Saturday and Sunday. I ask if the ticket can be purchased online and he tells me that most people say they cannot buy it online - you have to come to the station to buy it.

I did look at THIS weekend - Aug 8 & 9, and both those dates can be purchased online. Same - can purchase Aug 15 & 16. and Aug 29 & 30 - can. But not Aug 22 & 23.....

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
2,097 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: KTM Berhad Train Website: Schedule & Tickets

A couple of mths ago, the fare for the economy aircon buses Pg>KL route is standardized to RM35.

The premier buses is around RM50-65 onwards, depending on the company.

NICE or Aeroline is a better ride, but only Aeoline can be purchased online.

https://www.aeroline.com.my/

klang
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: KTM Berhad Train Website: Schedule & Tickets

How do I buy tickets on line, and do I get Warga Emas discounts as my wife and I are over 65 years old ...........

klang
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: KTM Berhad Train Website: Schedule & Tickets

yes, I`m posting jaydonman. Sharing with my wife

klang
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: KTM Berhad Train Website: Schedule & Tickets

How do I buy tickets on line? Do assist me.......

10. Re: KTM Berhad Train Website: Schedule & Tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2010, 14:16