We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Female - Weligama / Unawatuna / Elsewhere

Kim
9 posts
1 review
Solo Female - Weligama / Unawatuna / Elsewhere
Save

I'm a solo female traveller in my early 30s and will be visiting Sri Lanka in Feb for a couple of weeks.

I'll be at a yoga retreat in Weligama for the first week and looking for somewhere to stay afterwards for the final week. I'm torn between staying in Weligama (or close by - Ahangama / Midigama), or moving a long the coast a little further to Unawatuna. Also open to other places, although don't want to bother with travelling too far from Weligama.

Overall looking for somewhere chilled out, close to a nice beach, not too busy but with a bit of liveliness as I'll be travelling alone. I don't really surf, but wouldn't mind taking a lesson maybe. Nice restaurant options and yoga shalas nearby would be a bonus!

Will be grateful to receive any recommendations :)

4 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
77,465 posts
346 reviews
391 helpful votes
1. Re: Solo Female - Weligama / Unawatuna / Elsewhere
Save

Hi there,

Well Ahangama/Midigama are far less lively than Weligama or U'tuna. So decide what you prefer in terms of outside eating and activities.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sMlet-7Qz7ncYWd5PbGEjKogwFzErA06Cl_DRSx406U/edit

< Erik> & [Sandya]

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
3 posts
2. Re: Solo Female - Weligama / Unawatuna / Elsewhere
Save

Hiriketiya beach is nice and chill and beautiful place, everything you need is around that beach. I always endup staying there more than I plan. Check it out and enjoy your travels

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,657 posts
39 reviews
162 helpful votes
3. Re: Solo Female - Weligama / Unawatuna / Elsewhere
Save

Hiriketiya beach is a beautiful place that most locals have not discovered yet. So it is mainly foreigners that go there. We were there in January of 2022, and lots of my extended family did not even know of the place. It is mainly for surfers.

Kim
9 posts
1 review
4. Re: Solo Female - Weligama / Unawatuna / Elsewhere
Save

Thanks everyone, appreciate the recommendations :)

Reply to: Solo Female - Weligama / Unawatuna / Elsewhere
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.