We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Visa Question

Durham
Level Contributor
651 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Another Visa Question

I have checked the status of our ETA application to travel to Sri Lanka it is now stating in principle approved

What happens next?

Does that mean since we booked last April that we have nothing to pay on arrival

Should I take a print out of the ETA screen

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,254 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Visa Question

Hi there,

a] Indeed free

b] DO take a print-out. That huge queue at airport reported this morning is solely for those not having an ETA (whether due to their own fault or due to website errors); got a report of another tourist that had a free ETA and he could get directly to the normal Immigration desk, bypassing this queue. Had to show the ETA number on the printout.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Durham
Level Contributor
651 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Visa Question

thanks very much Erik

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Visa Question

Hi Erik,

Could you just confirm for me that me and my partner should get an ETA using the website method (We fly out on 27/01/2012) to avoid any queues on arrival?

Thanks,

Kev

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,254 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Visa Question

Hi Kev,

Yes for sure - and you have to pay now, USD 20 per person. Free visa/ETA for the people arriving before Apr-1 exists only for those having booked, and having applied for ETA, last year.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Visa Question

Applied for online ETA on December 6 and am still "pending" - almost a month later. So much for the response within 24 hours...they couldn't even do it in 24 days.

I've now sent four follow-up emails asking what is going on and have not had a reply. I'm beginning to get extremely grumpy!

Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
73 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Visa Question

I just had some guest arrive January 2nd, who are not really computer literate, they were confused over the online ETA. so they drove 150 miles to London to go to the sri lankan embassy from south west England, the sri lankan embassy sold them a 3 month visa when they were only staying 20 days, and should not have had to pay anything, they booked there flight tickets in July 2011, so total cost extra 70 uk pounds transport to London and 70 uk pounds 2 x 3 month Visas, there not Happy when i told them it was free

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,254 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Visa Question

Well it was only free if applied over the Internet and the website WORKED. For those where the website failed, uptilnow they had to queue at Katunayake and had to pay 25 USD each even though they could prove that their ticket was booked before Jan-1.

Not a good PR for tourism by Sri Lanka, indeed...

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

8. Re: Another Visa Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2012, 19:45
Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Visa Question

Hi Erik,

Thanks for your quick reply :-)

Still having problems :-(

Tried using the online method, when entering my passport number I get the following text appear below the number "Duplicate Application has been successfully verified."

I continue and fill in the rest of the form and proceed to the payment page and put in my card details but get the "transaction NOT successful" error (I have tried 2 different cards).

I then thought I'd check the visa application status from the main page using my passport number as I have no confirmation code and the status is showing as pending !!!!

Any idea as to what's going on?

Thanks again for any help,

Kev

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,254 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Visa Question

Not really, sorry. The site _is_ buggy, but the worst that can happen now for people using it after Jan-1 (if you don't reach the payment stadium) is loosing 5 USD extra and queuing at airport to get the ETA. Luckily for us we only fly later this year when things should have stabilised, just back 3 weeks from the lovely island...

Sorry,

<Erik> & [Sandya]