We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

umrah with small children

Hastings, United...
1 post
Save Topic
umrah with small children

assalamu-alaykum!!! im shazna,

im planning to go for umrah next month with my husband and my two small girls age 2 and 4, iv never been before and not sure how it is really done, im a bit worried how to do the tawaf and the sa'ee part of umrah with two small kids, they wont be able to walk so much. can some one tell me if my husband is allowed to hold 1 child and me hold 1 child whilst doing umrah. and how will be the best way.

jazzakallah!!!

Kaaba
Architectural Buildings
Grand Mosque
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Safa to Marwa
Points of Interest & Landmarks
almadinah
Level Contributor
270 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: umrah with small children

wa alikom alsalm , Ms , shazna

do not worry , because you will find when wandering around the KAABA , and when walking between SAFA and MARAWA , wheelchairs for rent .

best regards

for contact : naif.rashed@windowslive.com

NAIF

Mentioned in this post
Kaaba
Kaaba
380 Reviews
Mecca, Saudi Arabia
Chandler, Arizona
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: umrah with small children

Wa Alikom Alsalam Wa Rahmat Allah Wa Barakatoh,

In-shaa-Allah everything will be fine. You may carry one child and your husband carry the other child, this is perfectly fine. You may rotate, that your husband makes tawaf while you stay with your kids and vise vesa.

here is a great link show you how to do hajj and umrah,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIRGTI1uqXo

May Allah Accept your Umrah in-shaa-Allah and shower you and your family with his blessing, Ameen.

Jazak Allah Kheer,

For Contact: usahajj@gmail.com

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: umrah with small children

I don't think young children should be taken on umrah. They are too young to understand it, and the trouble they cause makes it very difficult for the parents to have a spiritual time.

I have often wondered why the hotels in Makkah and Madinah don't have creches for young children. Parents can leave their children there safely and go to the mosques to do their prayers in peace. But I know the reason why there isn't this facility. Childcare is done by women, no single woman is allowed in Makkah without a Mahram (man who is related to her and she cannot marry). So who would do the childcare? Men? I don't think so. This is something the authorities need to look into.

Mentioned in this post
Makkah Province
Makkah Province
Saudi Arabia
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,613 posts
2,178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: umrah with small children

You can take a stroller or strollers and push the children whilst doing the tawaaf.

If it's busy go to the upper floors.

worldwide
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: umrah with small children

I would recommend hiring a wheelchair , seat the both of them , push them around the kaba , safa , marwa in that way you and your husband can concentrate on your umrah and gain the full spritual benefit rather then having and arm ache aswell as dealing with the pushing that potentialy goes on. You can always carry them or walk round with them when you are doing the nafil tawafs , may the almighty accept your travel.

6. Re: umrah with small children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 May 2011, 23:05
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: umrah with small children

Salams,

I have done Umrah with my two children then aged 3 and 1 and half. I carried the one and half year old and he walked with me part of it as well. my three year old walked most of it and then was carried by my husband. One tip, we performed tawaf at 2am and did our umrah then. it was cool and uncrowded. later i took pictures of the kids and over the past two years have been showing it to them often talking about the umrah. By Gods grace umrah was nice and Allah made everything so easy for us. may He do the same with you and your children inshallah. you have to remember to stay away from the heat!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: umrah with small children

And what about the Hadj. Is it ok to take a baby (2 months old) with you to the hadj. I have no one to care of him and I will still give him my own milk.

Is it easy to walk with a stroller to tawaf?

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: umrah with small children

Salaam. Did you manage to perform umrah with your children? how was your experience? im in the same boat as you, inshAllah hoping to go next month with a 1 year old and a 3 year old. Jazakallah khair

Al Jubail, Saudi...
Level Contributor
79 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: umrah with small children

We were in Makkah for 3 days with our two children a few months ago. Of course our primary reason of going there is to perform ibadah but bear in mind when you bring little children there are things that you have to adjust & you also need to be more patient. These are some tips that we found helpful:

1. For the older kids, talk to them about it. Why muslims perform Umrah, etc. I also told them that we will be going to mosque a lot & this is not our regular vacation. You don't have to worry about taking the little ones as the locals bring their babies too. You will see children everywhere.

I read this guide to my son. He loves it.

scribd.com/doc/13832763/Umrah-Guidelines-for…

2. Take them to the toilet & make sure they have some food before you start as it may take a while to complete your umrah.

3. Tawaf & saie can be quite taxing. Esp after a long day of travelling. When we were there a few mths ago, the guards wont let people bring in stroller. We rented the wheelchair but my husband decided to push it himself so that we can control the pace. We negotiated this thru sign language & limited Arabic:) It cost SAR60 just for the rental of the wheelchair. If you choose to hire them too, it will cost SAR100.

4. Bring some snacks as they may be hungry & you may want to bring a small bottle. There's plenty of zam-zam water around the mosque ( They provide cups, but I find it easier to put it in a bottle).

If you will be there a few days, these things may be helpful:

-Take some time to do the activities they like. e.g. after subuh prayer, we normally let them feed the birds around the mosque. Or take them for a treat. There are Baskin Robbins, KFC, donuts etc nearby.

-Make sure they have plenty of rest. We had to take the kids during every prayer as we don’t have anyone else to take care of them. Take a nap in between prayers. You need rest too:)

-Take turn. Sometimes, you do feel that you want to spend more time at the mosque. Take turn with your spouse to take care of the kids so that you can concentrate.

Overall, everything went well for us. The kids were happy & love the trip. They were excited to go the mosque too:) That was indeed a blessing for us.

Mentioned in this post
Makkah Province
Makkah Province
Saudi Arabia