We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Donation of School supplies in Vanuatu

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Donation of School supplies in Vanuatu

Hi guys,

We are travelling to Port Vila in September and I would like to take school supplies with me to donate to some of the local schools.

I was hoping not to donate through a large aid organisation as I feel (in some cases) the full donation does not get through to the people who really need it.

Would love some pointers of which schools need it most and if it is possible to hand deliver the supplies?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers

Tori

10 replies to this topic
Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Donation of School supplies in Vanuatu

There is a Vanuatu Red Cross office across the road from Au Bon Marche at Numbatu (the biggest supermarket in PV) http://www.vanuaturedcross.org You could drop some supplies there. Alternatively ask a bus driver to take you to a school out of PV, these are generally the most needy.

Also you can buy many supplies in the chinese shops in town quite cheaply if you can't carry in your luggage or don't have space. First aid items are also welcome.

Its great that you can help!

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Donation of School supplies in Vanuatu

Hello Tori,

My wife is currently teaching Ni-Van teachers as part of an Australian Aid program. Her teachers come from small schools, scattered around Efate and the other islands, with large numbers of students (sometimes 70 to a class) and very few resources.

Any donations to those teachers would make them ecstatic and would be going to a very worthy cause.

Happy to chat further to help get it together.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
954 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Donation of School supplies in Vanuatu

toriandi--I really love your sentiment. If you don't mind though I'd like to suggest you may do more good donating money to the school. Yes giving out 100 pens has real feelgood appeal but there are local school supplies that the outlying schools really need and simply don't have the funds to pay for.

David K may well be able to put you directly in touch with a school most in need

Kingswood, Australia
Level Contributor
324 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Donation of School supplies in Vanuatu

I normally make contact with someone on the ground either where we are staying or a local tour operator.

We travel light so can often take and leave a full suitcase (from Garage Sales or Op Shop)

We have found the local kids also appreciate sporting equipment. We have found our local Kmart has balls and skipping ropes for just a dollar or 2. The crickets sets are only about $6.

We normally take about 20 decks of UNO cards which you can pick up at the Cheap shops. I keep a couple when we go out for meals and have a great time showing the locals to play and then give them a deck to take home to the families.

Another thing we collect is premmie baby clothes and cheap baby blankets, they don't take up much room.

Every little bit helps to those that have very little. Enjoy your holiday.

Kingswood, Australia
Level Contributor
324 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Donation of School supplies in Vanuatu

I normally make contact with someone on the ground either where we are staying or a local tour operator.

We travel light so can often take and leave a full suitcase (from Garage Sales or Op Shop)

We have found the local kids also appreciate sporting equipment. We have found our local Kmart has balls and skipping ropes for just a dollar or 2. The crickets sets are only about $6.

We normally take about 20 decks of UNO cards which you can pick up at the Cheap shops. I keep a couple when we go out for meals and have a great time showing the locals to play and then give them a deck to take home to the families.

Another thing we collect is premmie baby clothes and cheap baby blankets, they don't take up much room.

Every little bit helps to those that have very little. Enjoy your holiday.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Donation of School supplies in Vanuatu

Hello, Would your wife still be there in early November? I've booked a private tour whilst there for the day on a cruise and we do visit a school but I would presume it would be quite central. I'd be happy to bring along a few sporting goods items etc but don't know that these would be passed along by the school to share with other schools?

7. Re: Donation of School supplies in Vanuatu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 August 2017, 14:35
Edited: 01 August 2017, 14:35

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
6,702 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Donation of School supplies in Vanuatu

Duplicate reported.

Edited: 01 August 2017, 14:11
WindwardOahu
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Donation of School supplies in Vanuatu

I'll be there in February and planned to take stencils and sticker books. Also coloring pencils. I've been looking at garage sales.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Donation of School supplies in Vanuatu

I'm going to The Havannah Resort in September and they run a special collection for schools. - I've copied and pasted the details from the hotel website below. It's called 'Pack for a Purpose'

The Havannah Resort, Vanuatu joined Pack for a Purpose in early 2015 with the goal of looking after our local primary school in Tanoliu Village. We have been so overwhelmed with the response by travelers bringing supplies that at the end of 2015, we distributed complete pencil cases to over 600 students in six different villages, including offshore islands where the villagers have no access to shops where they can purchase school supplies. Most villagers are subsistence farmers and do not have a cash income, so Pack for a Purpose really helps these families put their children through school.

We are hoping to expand the program to cover all the schools in the north-western region of Efate and its islands, with a focus on more remote communities. We would ideally like to give each child a complete pencil case at the start of the year and provide the school with teaching aids such as reference materials, charts, and flash cards.

An asterisk (*) before an item indicates this item is most urgently needed.

Needs

We would love to receive complete pencil cases ready to hand out to the students.

The requirements are:

*Grades 1 & 2: Box of Crayons, HB Pencils (2), Eraser, Pencil Sharpener, Colored Pencils, and Fun Stickers or a Coloring Book

*Grades 3 & 4: Colored Pencils, HB Pencils (2), Eraser, Pencil Sharpener, Ruler, Exercise Books (2), and Fun Stickers or a Coloring Book

*Grades 5 and above (including high school): Colored Pencils, HB Pencils (2), Eraser, Pencil Sharpener, Ruler, Square Set Ruler, Blue Pens (2), Black Pens (2), Solar Calculator, Geometry Set, and A4 Spiral-Bound Notebook (2)

General School Supplies:

Book Bags, Chalk, College-Ruled Paper, Colored Construction Paper, Colored Pencils, Compasses, Crayons, Erasers, Glue Sticks, Handheld Pencil Sharpeners, New Pens (Blue, Black, and Green only), Pencils, Pencil Cases/Bags, Protractors, Rulers, and Solar Calculators

Reference Materials:

(English) Atlas, Children’s Science Reference Books, Dictionaries, and Lined Writing Books

Flash Cards:

(English) Alphabet, Math, and Word

Laminated Wall Charts:

(English) Human Body, Language, Math, Science, and World Maps

Hesperian Health Guides:

(English) Where There Is No Doctor and Where There Is No Dentist

Music Instruments:

Castanets, Cymbals, Harmonicas/Kazoos, Maracas, Recorders, Tambourines, and Triangles

Sports/Outdoor Activity:

Frisbees, Inflation Pumps, Jump Ropes, Soccer Balls, and Whistles

Shoes:

New Children’s Flip Flops/Sandals

First Aid/Health:

Antibiotic Ointment, Betadine, Fabric Band-Aids (plastic ones do not stick in this climate), and Hydrogen Peroxide

Office Supplies:

Markers, Rulers, Scissors, Staplers, and Red Pens for Teachers

Initiatives Supported

Education

All the needs are current as of August 9, 2017

How to Pack

Pack for a Purpose provides travelers with the current information they need to take requested supplies for community-based projects around the globe. When you take your selected supplies you can drop them at your accommodation knowing they will be delivered directly to the project.

MORE ABOUT US » | VIEW DESTINATIONS »

When you Pack for a Purpose, please take only the specific items requested by the community-based projects. These are the supplies that are needed and will be greatly appreciated. The lists have been well-researched and un-requested items, even with the best of intentions, are largely inappropriate for the communities and are likely to have few short-term and no long-term benefits.

Candy and balloons are not on the needs lists as they are harmful for the children and the environment for the following reasons:

• Few of the children benefiting from these projects have access to toothpaste, toothbrushes, or a dentist. The candy promotes cavities.

• The balloons, once they become deflated, are a choking hazard for wildlife.

Instead of taking candy or balloons, use that space for additional requested supplies, as they are priceless.

Before You Pack:

Check with your airline and travel agent to determine the current luggage allowance to your destination.

For Custom rules and regulations, check with the Embassy from the country you plan to visit. Or you can check with the specific accommodation/tour company that you plan to stay at or use. They should be aware of the current rules at the specific time you are traveling.

School Supplies:

To save space, take the following items out of their original packaging and place them in the lightest possible plastic or fabric resealable bags: pens, pencils, erasers, individual pencil sharpeners, solar calculators, and protractors.

The following items should be kept in their original packaging to prevent breakage: crayons, chalk, and colored pencils. Plastic and wooden rulers should be wrapped in bubble wrap to prevent breakage. Games such as Scrabble®, Connect Four®, Dominoes® and Bananagrams® should be left in their original packages.

Medical Supplies:

Be sure to check the Customs regulations of the country you are visiting if you plan to take any requested medications, as what is allowed varies by country. Even over-the-counter medications may not be allowed in some countries. Any medicines that you take should have an expiration date at least eight months after the time you are taking them.

Expensive items such as stethoscopes, blood pressure cuffs, etc., should be put in plastic or fabric resealable bags and packed in your carry-on luggage.

The following new items should be taken out of their original packaging and placed in the lightest possible plastic or fabric resealable bags: Band-Aids, bandages and any other items where the weight would be reduced by eliminating the original packaging.

Soccer Balls:

Soccer balls should be deflated by moistening an inflation needle and carefully inserting it into the valve. After the needle is inserted, gently apply pressure to the ball until it is deflated. Remove the needle and tape it to the deflated ball. The deflated balls can be stacked to save space. Soft items such as socks can also be positioned in the cavities. Each deflated soccer ball will weigh about 1 lb (0.45 kg).

For your convenience, pack all items so they can be easily located within your luggage and dropped off when you arrive at your destination.

Reply to: Donation of School supplies in Vanuatu
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila