We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver recommendation

Queensland...
Level Contributor
5 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Driver recommendation

We have just had a week in Vanuatu and had a great driver. Mark has a white taxi sedan, air conditioned and in very good condition. It easily seated 2 adults and 2 kids. It's not a van. He took us to Blue Lagoon, shopping and to & from dinner each night. I recommend Mark and PM me if you would like his number. (I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post his number here).

15 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driver recommendation

Yes, we will be there in July, would love his number, being new to this site, I'm not sure how to PM you???

Queensland...
Level Contributor
5 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driver recommendation

Hi mrsnikkisixx, our driver Mark can be reached on 5444 683.

Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driver recommendation

Thank you so much for getting back to me,will def call mark while we are in port vila...

Also a quick question, what were The mosquitoes like???

Did you find the need to take antimaleria meds??

We are very reluctant to take them because of side effects!

Any info would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks!

Edited: 29 June 2017, 19:16
Queensland...
Level Contributor
5 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driver recommendation

Hi mrsnikkisixx, we barely noticed the mosquitos. Didn't take antmaleria tablets at all and only used repellent at dusk. It may depend where you were staying. We were at the Holiday Inn on the lagoon and there weren't a lot of mosquitos around. We had dinner on the beach there twice and still didn't see or feel any mossies. We also didn't have any in our rooms, which were on the second floor though air-con and no windows or doors open. We used more sunscreen than mosquito repellent.

Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driver recommendation

Thanks for the info, we are staying at fatumaru lodge, in port vila, I've never been to vanuatu/port vila before & 2 GP's have advised us to take anti maleria meds, yet 6 people that I know that have been recently didn't bother with them...

Edited: 30 June 2017, 11:35
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driver recommendation

So here's the thing. The anti malaria meds may make you feel sick, and they only work against certain types of malaria, having said that I am not a medical person of any sort, but I am a traveller and have been to Vanuatu a lot of times. What I do know is that insect repellent keeps away all sorts of insects but it cannot protect you against your own fears, which, as you know, have an attractant property all their own. So it is entirely up to you what you choose to do. We always take personal insect repellent and rarely need it. Mouthwash in a spray bottle also deters insects from around your balcony area. Mozzie coils are available in the local supermarkets and most resorts put a few out at dusk anyway. There is a spraying programme in Vila which largely controls mozzies.

Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driver recommendation

J T Travellers....Thanks for yourinformation, we are seriously thinking of not taking the meds, because of the side effects & also because I'm on other medication, probably a dumb decision to some, but one that we need to be & have become comfortable with:)

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Driver recommendation

We have literally just returned from Port Vila, as a group of 13, kids and adults. We did not take anti malarials, we took tropical strength repellent that we just used in evenings, and I kept a mini roll on in my bag. we also took plug ins that we put in our room. I saw one or two mozzies, but were really not bothered by them.

Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driver recommendation

Great to hear what other travellers have been doing, thanks for this information, it's all been a great help....

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driver recommendation

Hi, we've just returned from two weeks in Vila, family of five with teens. We took mozzie spray and forgot to take it zip lining, kids did get a fair few as you're in the jungle. Around town/ accommodation we had no worries. None of us took the tablets either. All my siblings have been on tropical scuba trips over the years and suffered so much with side effects they stopped taking the tablets, we went with that.

We met a few drivers, our family fave was Sammy 7309638/ +6785382299.

Reply to: Driver recommendation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted