We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing in Vanuatu - Efate Island

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Surfing in Vanuatu - Efate Island

Just looking for some advice on surfing locations in Vanuatu.

I know its not known as being the most idyllic location for a surf holiday but its still worth a shot.

We are going to be staying in the Breakas area at the end of July. Hopefully there is some swell around during that time. I have seen that it can break there. Has anyone surfed it before?

I have also seen that Eratap point can be a good spot. Can you gain access to the beach even if you're not a guest at the resort? I have heard that not all beaches are open to the public. Don't want to just show up and do the wrong thing.

Lastly I haven't really been able to find much on it but are there any guiding tours anyone knows of? Any outer reef breaks or anything that can be accessed by boat etc?

Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Evergreen Tours Vanuatu
Sightseeing Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
3 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
187 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing in Vanuatu - Efate Island

We stayed at Eratap a couple of years ago and my husband got great surf out near the front of the resort. There were a couple of people that just showed up trying to get a surf in. Not allowed into the resort so they tried to surf closer to the uninhabited island right beside the resort but they had to paddle quite a long distance across the front of the resort to get there, not much surfing done when they got there as they had to be able to get back again later!

Better off staying at the resort!

Can't comment on Breakas sorry.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfing in Vanuatu - Efate Island

Pango (where Breakas is) is a popular surf spot with locals. The break is out a bit and goes both ways.

Yes most beaches are privately owned by a resort or village. Resorts usually don't mind you using the facilities if you buy lunch etc. You could always email Eratap or contact them when you are here to ask if they mind and hope for a windy day!

Sydney
Level Contributor
135 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfing in Vanuatu - Efate Island

Good surfing on Pele Island, just off the northern part of Efate. A lot of locals surf out the front of Pele Sunrise bungalows.

Reply to: Surfing in Vanuatu - Efate Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted