We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Vila Vanuatu, best for scuba & peaceful abode

Perth, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Port Vila Vanuatu, best for scuba & peaceful abode

Hi ,

I am going to Port Vila Vanuatu for 3 days scuba diving and want to know if its ok to stay near town?

I prefer smaller boutique style accommodation with loads of natural surroundings on a mid priced budget. Would love ocean views. Can anyone advise me if its ok to stay close to town or is it not so good? Where is the best place to stay if diving everyday and like peace and quiet?

Cheers Thea.

6 replies to this topic
Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Vila Vanuatu, best for scuba & peaceful abode

Hideaway Island would suit you. Its not far from town (20 mins from airport to the wharf then a quick zip over to the island ~500m off shore) and there are heaps of buses at the wharf to run you into town if you want to wander around. They also have certified dive courses and good staff.

Alternatively, check out Big Blue for diving and stay somewhere close to town (pool but no ocean swimming) like Moorings.

Have fun!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
937 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Vila Vanuatu, best for scuba & peaceful abode

Thea- I'm guessing you are diving with Big Blue or Nautilus. Both companies will pick you up from where you are staying and drop you back at the end of the day. Big blue have a secure area for guests private gear so you leave it there overnight. I can't say 100% for Nautilus but Big Blue pick you and your dived gear up from your accommodation. and bring you to dive base on the vila sea wall. To be honest I think you over estimate the distances involved in staying in Or just out of Vila. Most of the resorts are within 6km of the centre of town. Nasama resort is 5.2km to big blue if you run the ridge and drop down.

personally I recommend Nasama. Keep in mind a bus ride anywhere in town will only cost about $2.00

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
379 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Vila Vanuatu, best for scuba & peaceful abode

Tranquillity Island Resort for a scuba day trip will blow your mind...Big blue otherwise

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
937 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Vila Vanuatu, best for scuba & peaceful abode

hey GPC--did you book a scuba day trip or do a dive from the cruise?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
379 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Vila Vanuatu, best for scuba & peaceful abode

No...we go for a week every 2nd year. Mostly dive with Big Blue but the Tranquillity Day trip for diving was amazing...untouched reef.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
937 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Vila Vanuatu, best for scuba & peaceful abode

GPC-if you can get a group together then a three tank dive day with Tranquility out around Hat island will blow your mind. Its not dived very often which amazes me.Mind you theres also sites Big Blue don't take rec divers to that are just mind blowing too. -Big Bommy for example.

Reply to: Port Vila Vanuatu, best for scuba & peaceful abode
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted